DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   All Things Audio -- topics from 2002 thru 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/5703-all-things-audio-topics-2002-thru-2004-a.html)

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 14th, 2004 07:14 AM

You're in luck. Ron Dabb's book on Audition addresses some specifics like this, although they're not exactly the same.
CMPBooks.com will have it, so will Amazon. Look for old Cool Edit Pro tut's too.

http://www.bbctraining.com/onlineCourse.asp?tID=2292&cat=2772

http://www.mp3-faq.org/tips/cepcass.htm

http://freewebhosting.hostdepartment.com/h/howtorecordaband/drums.html

Hope these help. I'm pretty familiar with Ron's book, I edited it, and there is lots of real-world experience in there.

Kevin Kimmell June 18th, 2004 08:22 AM

Help w/mobile setup for golf-cart interviews

Hi there...

I'm going to be shooting some footage that will basically consist of two cameras and spontaneous action by people at live concerts/festivals.

Our cameras are Canon GLs (a 1 and a 2). I'm currently working on the best way to handle lighting and sound with the least amount of equipment and the least amount of need for extra power sources as we'll be driving around on a golf cart and randomly stopping to record and interview.

I've got the rudimentary lighting scheme pretty well figured out with flashlights and a possbile 12-volt to invertor setup.

Now I'm thinking about sound. My plan is to run a shockmounted AT822 Stereo mic directly into the GL2's mini port and a boom/stand mounted AT897 into the XLR box connected to the GL1. I'm trying to avoid needing to power a mixer and figure I can grab the best sound in post (or mix them if they both sound good).

I'm basically hoping for comments on this setup to see what you all think. Suggestions welcome for the sound setup and any additional ideas for "decent" lighting solutions.

Thanks,
Kevin

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 18th, 2004 09:32 PM

Sounds like you have the audio issues well under control. The mics are good mics, not sure about your flashlight setup, and not sure why you couldn't just use small softboxes running on 12volt dc, clamped to your golf cart. But, that's more a lighting forum question. The audio rig will/should work well. Make sure you have good windscreens of some sort if you're gonna be outdoors.

Mike Szabo June 27th, 2004 08:36 PM

About the Azden ECZ-990

I'm not on the level of most of you guys financially. I buy my equipment out of my own pocket and can't afford the best equipment.

That being said, I needed a shotgun mic to get better sound on my new Panasonic AG-DVC30. If you have to money to drop down on XLR adapters and higher end microphones then this doesn't concern you. I bought the Azden ECZ-990 because it was cheap and did what I needed it to do. If you are like me and are looking at buying one let me tell you a little about it:

*It is small, fits nicely on the bracket. It won't creep into shots like some longer shotgun mics.

*It has 2 settings, long and short. Long is more directional, short is better for picking up ambient sound.

*It has a pretty long, curly cord. It might get in the way if you are having to switch to and from handheld use.

*It did a much better job in boosting the levels of audio than the on-camera mic.

*I went outdoors and shot with it, and there was a very light wind blowing. It didn't do too well. The wind was flooding the audio and the levels were maxing out. Luckily the AGDVC-30 has a wind screen function built into the camera, once I turned that on the problem went away. It could possibly be fixed by a good windscreen, not sure though.

All in all, it's a decent mic for $50. If I could afford better I would get something else, but it gets the job done.

Bryan Beasleigh June 27th, 2004 10:34 PM

I too buy my own equipment, most here do.

I'm glad things worked out for you. So long as it does the job that's all you need. What is the diameter of the mic, you may be able to buy a cheapo wind screen that'll make life easier outside.

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 28th, 2004 08:20 PM

Instant Sound Forge book now shipping

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Thought I'd pass the info along. Very useful book, for Forge users and anyone on the PC editing audio. There is one chapter that is just dedicated to audio prep, so it's also somewhat useful for Peak users.

Kevin Galliford June 29th, 2004 09:48 AM

Wireless System

Hey,
You guys probably get tons of posts like this, but I tried searching, but I need your advice.

I have a GL2, and Im looking to but a Wireless system, both a Handheld, and a Lapel mic's.

I dont want to spent over 400.00 what do you recomend? I have a Azden WMPro now, but I'm selling it and going to get a better set.

I was thinking about 100LT? Or an Audiotechnica Pro-88w but their vhf ;-(. series. I guess I should go with UHV vs VHF is that a good choice?

Please help me out!

Mike Rehmus June 29th, 2004 09:13 PM

Very difficult to buy that much new equipment with your budget.

I'd not try VHF at all.

Best option might be something like the Sennheiser 100 kit with a lav and a plug-on transmitter. Then you would need a metal-body microphone to plug into. But the price will be about $500 plus the microphone.

I have a 100 setup that includes the lav, the plug-on and the Senn handheld microphone with integrated transmitter. Gotta say I like the plug-on because I can chose just about any microphone I want. It's just more flexible.

John C. Thompson June 30th, 2004 07:36 AM

Azden Wireless Choices ??

Hey guys,

I am trying to make a decision on a wireless mic setup using 2 lapel mics and one receiver. Im looking at the Azden 221-LT. I think it is a new system? It consists of the 221R receiver and the 31LT lav with a bodypack. Im just wondering if anyone has used this system or should I just go with the WR22-Pro and 2 WL/T Pros? Any suggestions?

Chris Gray July 3rd, 2004 11:38 AM

Distortion with loud sounds

I have a TRV80 with Azden SGMX short shotgun mounted on the camera. During normal to moderately loud scenes the sound is quite good. However, with loud sounds (such as yelling during a dramatic scene) there is a lot of distortion. To my knowledge the TRV80 doesn't have audio recording level adjustment, so I have to rely on the the unit's automatic capabilities.

Is this the microphone's fault or the camcorder (I noticed the same effect when hooking up the Azden to an older D8 camcorder, the TRV720).

I suspect it is the automatic level controls being overwhelmed, but can anyone confirm this?

Patrick MCMurray July 3rd, 2004 12:21 PM

i m not an expert but it does sound like the cam auto adjustment.
does it continue to be distorted if the loud noise is atleast a few seconds long? or does it adjust?

maybe try moving the mice back a couple feet?

Sung Kim July 3rd, 2004 05:34 PM

ME66 vs AT897 ???

I've been looking for a shotgun mic under $500, and the choice comes down pretty much between ME66 and AT897...
Can anyone compare those two models for me?
It'll be used with my dvx100a...and to make indie films...
I'd really appreciate a detailed review of both mics, in terms of performance, funtionality, durability, etc...
and also please make me a recommendation considering that the price does not matter as long as it's under $500...
Thanks~^^

Adi Head July 4th, 2004 05:51 PM

need microphone advice

hi. i am a videographer. when shooting weddings, i like to be around bride and groom while they make preperations before the actual ceremony (getting hair done, fitting on dress, etc.). using the onboard mic which came with my sony pd150, doesn't really do the job when trying to capture dialogue.
i DO have a uhf wireless mic device. so i was thinking of placing the transmitter hooked up to a microphone, in the area where the people are talking, freeing me of having to stay very close to them in order to record what they are saying. what microphone would you suggest i hook up to the transmitter to get good clean (as much as possible) dialogue?

the smaller mic, the better. i don't want it to stick out too much.

thanks

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 5th, 2004 09:05 AM

I REALLY like the new AT 899, it's a great mic for direct placement. You could also use one of the AT boundary mics with the quad element.
A Sony ECM 55 would be great here too.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 5th, 2004 09:06 AM

M-Audio Mic guide

A guide to using and choosing mics from m-audio. Very well done, if I do say so myself.
http://www.m-audio.com/images/en/man..._Mic-Guide.pdf

Jeff Toogood July 6th, 2004 08:42 AM

Mikemuff or Mini Windjammer???

I just got my Azden SGM-1X today and I am looking for some better wind protection.

Due to a limited buget, I have decided between these two "furrys" that fit over the standard foam windscreen.

Are they basically the same, or is one much better than the other?

Thanks for your help.

Brad Higerd July 6th, 2004 09:39 AM

I just bought a Mike Muff for my GL2, and it fits great.

Let me add that I am trying to reduce the pickup of camera noise with a piece of thin foam rubber (adhesive on one side) cut to cover the bottom of the onboard mic. The Mike Muff fits great with or without the foam rubber stuck to the bottom of the mic.

Stephen van Vuuren July 7th, 2004 03:53 PM

Field Laptop Recording, Echo Indigo IO vs. Behringer BCA2000

I am planning to due some dual system sound shoots (specifically for a 48 hour film festival) and considering laptop recording.

I have a Thinkpad t41p with a 7200 rpm drive, plenty fast for recording audio but of course has build in crappy sound,

Consider either a Echo Indigo IO http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/IndigoIO/index.php or the new Behringer BCA http://www.behringer.com/BCA2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG but can't decided which is more usable.

The Indigo's huge advantage is size - no carrying around a mixing box and drivers are running at around 2ms latency for 24/96 two channel recording. However, only 1 1/8" minijack for input - so I would have to carry around my Samson Mixpad 4 for phantom power, XLR and monitoring.

The Behringer unit could replace the Indigo/Samson combo but it's a bulky box and though it uses USB 2.0 for low latency, it's too new to see reviews out on latency performance.

I know it's too much to ask for a Cardbus card with snap on XLR and phantom power, but I'm torn between which setup is more usable in the field for a two-man sound crew (mixer and boom).

Michael Bendixen July 8th, 2004 02:30 PM

used sound equipment

Does anyone now where I can find sound equipment like zeppelins, boom poles, etc. used? It seems like there should be some floating around somewhere?

Thanks,

Michael

Linda Schodowsky July 8th, 2004 07:53 PM

Good place to order my Oktava MC012

After much research... I went ahead and ordered a Beachtek DXA-8 from B & H. I will be purchasing an Oktava MC-012 to go with it. B & H doesn't sell the Oktava.

I want to go to the best place to order my mic, and am sure someone will have a good reputable place to order from!

Thanks for all the advice... I put it to good use, as you can see by my choices!

Bryan Beasleigh July 8th, 2004 08:09 PM

I'd actually go to the sound room and pay the extra for the piece of mind.
http://sound-room.com/customer/home.php?cat=2

The Oktava with a cardoid cap is 193US and the kit with a cardoid, hyper and omni is $299.

You could also try www.avr.ca I paid the equivilent of 195 us a kit but they'de be shipping from Canada to the US.

The Beach is a good choice.

Charles French July 9th, 2004 10:44 AM

Shure KSM32

I'm thinking about buying a KSM32 to mic a guitar I have. I'm wondering if this mic would work well with my VX2K camera. It is a really nice condenser mic for studio recording, vocals and instruments.

Charles

Jacques Mersereau July 9th, 2004 11:16 AM

The Shure KSM32 is a pretty decent mic, but it will not work with your
VX2K without an adapter . . . one that provides phantom power.

In what situations are you thinking about using it w/ your camera?

Jacques Mersereau July 9th, 2004 11:33 AM

Ebay is probably about the best, but because stuff like blimps and poles in
good conditon are always in demand, they usually go as part of an
entire kit which normally includes the mic the seller really wants to broom.

There's a *mangled Rycote kit* on Ebay now for under $100.

Linda Schodowsky July 9th, 2004 04:16 PM

Deleted -

Bryan Beasleigh July 9th, 2004 09:36 PM

Stay away from that "stuff" and if it's a consumer mag stuff it where it belongs in the garbage or under the cat's litterbox. get back on track with quality gear.

Joel Iwataki July 12th, 2004 11:14 AM

Equip questions for Folk Music in Romania

Going to Northern Romania to find folk music for inspiration and enjoyment. But I want to share memories and I'm an audio engineer so I'm a bit of a gearhead. But I don't want this to be a "Busman's Holiday" and lug around a lot of gear. I want pictures so camcorder seemed good idea. I'm starting from zero. I plan to get Panasonic DV953 and MKH416 and Beechtek DXA6 and I will be traveling alone in a rental car. A few questions:
1) Are these good choices?
2) Will 416 pattern be too narrow for a group of 4-6 people? Will I have to stand too far back?
3) Would a stereo Mic be of any use? With a shotgun MS stereo can I record unmatrixed and use just cardiod side as Hypercardiod (shotgun)?
4) Can I use DV953 'AV input' to bypass mic pre and achieve equivalent of Greg Winter mod?
5) Do I need release form in case I want to sample or somehow use commercially?
This is a great forum, I wish I found it earlier. I'm leaving in 5 days to work in Berlin til Aug 1, then to Romania. Thanks in advance for qiuck answers.

Jeff Toogood July 12th, 2004 11:21 AM

Converting line level to Mic level??

Is there an adapter or box that will convert a line level feed to mic level?

I only have a MA-300 mic adapter on my GL2 and was just trying to prepare myself for any situation I may run into at some upcoming weddings.

Would be nice to run an output from the PA to the MA-300, but it only accepts mic level inputs.

Thanks

Joel Iwataki July 12th, 2004 01:01 PM

trv900 instead

Actually I'm getting a Sony TRV900 camera.

Jacques Mersereau July 12th, 2004 02:30 PM

Yes, they are called *in line pads* and feature a resistor of your choice.
They look like what we call a female XLR barrel (or coupler) with the
resistor inside.

I would recommend a -20 or -30 dB pad. Beachtek uses a -50 and from
my experience it is too much. A hot mic like the K6/ME67 will overload
without using the -50 pad, but you don't get enough signal with it.

I don't know about the GL2, but the XL1 has a menu setting you can
adjust for -10 line level. You will need a pad if you want to tame the
+4 dBv tiger.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 12th, 2004 03:22 PM

Walmart has a great price...

on the new Sound Forge book.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A3920%3A105315

Mike Rehmus July 12th, 2004 04:04 PM

Ordered.

Thanks for the heads-up

Graham Budd July 12th, 2004 07:32 PM

Sennheiser G2 100-ENG RF Carrier Frequencies

Before ordering a G2 100 ENG kit (when available) I'm trying to understand which frequency range I should select & why.

FWIW I am in New Zealand.

The frequencies offered are:-

A: 518 - 554MHz
B: 626 - 662MHz
C: 740 - 776MHz
D: 786 - 822MHz
E: 830 - 886MHz

Thanks in advance

Graham

Jonas Hansen July 13th, 2004 10:25 AM

Can you help?

Hi,

Im planning to make a low-budget movie, and I could need some advice. Here's the question:

You think I would need a seperate mixer, when I already have the 'Marantz PMD222'?
http://www.american-digital.com/prodsite/product.asp?p=165

Im just going to use 1 mic.

Thanks for your time!

Dwight Flynn July 14th, 2004 11:00 PM

looking for primer on Audition

Anyone know of a good primer for adobe audition. BTW, for those in the know, how does it stack up to soundforge (subjective I know but I am asking for an opinion. I will use them mainly for voice editing of in camera and dat audio).

Thanks

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 15th, 2004 06:41 AM

Ron Dabbs has a great book on Audition, available at Amazon, etc. or check out http://www.cmpbooks.com

Dan Measel July 15th, 2004 01:15 PM

Which beachtek adaptor should I get?

I shot my last project with a VX2000, SGM2X and Beachtek DX4A adaptor and I was pretty happy with the results. Unfortunately my wife ran the beachtek through the washing machine recently (it was in a suitcase with clothes). Anyway, since I need a new beachtek I was also considering upgrading my mic and the AT4073A has pretty good reviews on this site. Which Beachtek device would be best for use with this mic. And if I stayed with the SGM2X would one of the devices with phantom power add anything more to the setup?

Bryan Beasleigh July 15th, 2004 02:22 PM

Best is going to be the DXA-8 that has reamplification , 48 volt phantom and limiters. The DXA-8 will allow you to limit the onboard preamps to 355 or less gain. This will give you niticeably better audio.

This rig can on'y help your audio quality even with the azden.

AT mics are a definite improvement on the Azden

Mike Rehmus July 16th, 2004 05:44 PM

Very small lav, sounds good, no visible wires

Very small lav, sounds good, no visible wires - I've not seen it, just read the info on RAMPS

http://www.ricsonix.com/frame.htm

Kevin Galliford July 17th, 2004 11:54 AM

Boom Mic's, Help

I have an AudioTechnica ATR55 Shotgun mic with a mini jack plug that I use ontop of my GL2 for a better external mic. I just purchased a shock mount and a boom pole for the microphone.

My question is, can I get an extended 12 foot cable or so (i've seen them) to hook up to the microphone and have it go directly into the mini jack on the camera, or is that a bad idea? Or should I invest in a XLR adaptor and use XLR imputs? I'm not concerned about it coming unplugged, but a difference in sound between straight use of a mini jack or the XLR. Does the minijack have bad sound when there is a extended cable.

I will have a friend who will hold the boom pole for me directed to the subjects while I film, and the wire from the boom pole will go to the GL2? Please help me if any of you have a similar setup.

I can use all the advice, Ive searched all the forums and dont see much.