All Things Audio -- topics from 2002 thru 2004 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Closed Thread

Old May 25th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #46
Regular Crew

field mixer

Well, I know nothing about PZMs, but I can definitely recommend a mixer. The Shure FP24 is a great 2-channel field mixer in the middle price range (about $800). It has dual XLR in/out, a stereo mini out (great connection to mini-in camcorders), phantom power, VUs, tape return, phantom power, high-pass (at either 80 or 160), full channel assignment, even a slate mic and a 1k tone generator. Good stuff...
Old May 25th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #47
Warden

If you are always going to have access to AC I would use one of the small Mackie mixers. The 1202 is well under $400 at most places.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 26th, 2003, 10:41 AM   #48
New Boot

EcoCharge

has anyone used the Battery products made by EcoCharge? It's an external power source (battery.) I am thinking of buying one but haven't spoken to anyone that has used one...I'm going to use it for a Tascam DAP1...
Old May 26th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #49
Regular Crew

SONY ECMHS1 MIC - Opinions?

Hi there people,

After filming people and talkign with them in a busy room, the sound quality was quite poor because of so mcuh backgroudn noise. So someone got me this as a present, being told that it improved quality and cut out abckground noise.

Does anyone know how effective this is, and how much of an imporvemeent it is over the built in mic on a SONY DCR-TRV950E ?

Is it good enough for making a short ow budget movie outdoors, or should I perhaps consider a better microphone? Thanks very much :)
Old May 26th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #50
Wrangler

Audio Levels w/ DVX100 & Sennheisser ME66

I've noticed in loud environtments (particularly ones that are fairly quite that peak quickly to loud...like an applauding crowd) I get distortion. I set my levels in such a way in my DVX100 so that it's mostly in the white and that it NEVER spikes yet I still get minor distortion when a crowd is screaming. Is that because the decibles of the crowd are actually exceeding the limit of my mic? I'm asking because according to my levels I shouldn't of had any distortion?!
Old May 26th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #51
Major Player

It's been my experience that ANYTHING is better than a on camera mic.

Yes it will improve your audio and clean up the sound but shotgun mikes are mostly used for B-roll, not main audio tracks when making productions so it won't do you well if your making a short or a video and want to record some dialogue.

Get yourself a wireless mike systems or a boom mike and you'll be much more suited for dialogue production. And your shotgun mike will complement them for b-roll audio.

Ben Lynn
Old May 26th, 2003, 09:11 PM   #52
Major Player

That sony mic is ok for general sound . i had bought it for my PC-110 and works better than the on board mic but forget about it when its windy etc. the foam cover doesnt help.also you will want to just use it in shotgun mode and not zoom mode. zoom mode the sound gets real "tinny". It cant even compete with a pro mic but for $75 its not too bad but i would not use it for any serious dialog etc.
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #53
Regular Crew

what outboard audio equipment are we using here? DAT/analog nagra?

just a lil' survey on the most popular makes/models of outboard audio equipment here when using xlr/boom poles/etc.
thanks

ie: i'm using nagra 4.2 with 7" reels
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:29 PM   #54
New Boot

wired interviewee....

Besides the obvious limitations involving movement, are there limitations with having an interviewee wearing a lapel mike that plugs directly into my vx2000? Does the longer lead then lead to disturbance? It seems that it might be the way to go if one is low budget. Am i right.....or just ignorant?

Marcello
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #55
Regular Crew

Plugging into a sound board

I have yet to plug into a sound board to pick up audio. However, I have begun looking at them at the schools where I film performances. Usually the only output on the sound board is a 1/4" headphone output. I'd like to plug into this and connect my Sennheiser wireless transmitter to it. However, I'm not sure if the headphone jack is mono or stereo. I don't want to plug a mono plug into the headphone jack if it is stereo as this would short out one of the stereo outputs. So my questions are:
1. Are these headphone outputs always mono?
2. If stereo, how would I combine the two signals so that I can transmit the mixed signal using a single mono wireless transmitter?
3. What line attenuator would you recommend for cutting the headphone output down to an amplitude compatible with my Sennheiser transmitter? (its expecting a microphone level signal)
Old May 31st, 2003, 10:34 AM   #56
Wrangler

Alan,

(1)Headphone outputs are always stereo.
(2)You could try using a stereo-mono cable, (presuming the
wireless input is a 1/4" jack).
(3)This is something you are going to have to test, but I would
imagine either buying a line transformer would work, or maybe
even a small "headphone box/amplifier". There are some
small passive headphone distribution amplifiers that actually
only limit the signal, rather than boosting the signal. You
could probably find one at your local music store or even Radio
Shack.

Does your wireless have an input volume control on it? If so, you might get lucky and actually be able to plug directly into the wireless with no problems.

Hope this helps,

-Nori
Old June 1st, 2003, 11:26 AM   #57
Tourist

Shure UT wireless

I have a sony pd150 and for a birthday gift I got a shure UT4 wireless. Is this the best thing for using in a documantary type situation? I have a couple lavaliers but the wires have been problems. I'm new at all this and find sound to be difficult at times to say the least. I notice on the booklet with it there is a lot about guitarist use or vocal artist. Should I switch it for something else? Any comment or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 02:16 AM   #58
Regular Crew

What recorder do you recommend?

I'm thinking of investing in a separate recorder to capture audio at weddings and other events. The recording device would enable me to capture more audio channels than I can capture with my VX-2000 by itself. Ideally the recorder would record two channels of audio for an hour or more. The recorder would be connected to XLR microphones or a sound board output. Once captured, I would load the recorded audio into my editing system for incorporation into my video production. A direct digital connection would be ideal, but re-recording the analog output from the recorder is also an option. Ideally each recorder channel level could be set manually or to some automatic mode (AGC). I recognize that this sounds a lot like the sound section of a PD150, but I'm hoping that there is something out there that is less expensive and that meets my needs. An inexpensive DV camcorder might be able to fit the bill with a Beachtek or similar XLR adaptor. However most of these don't have the ability to set sound levels manually.
What would you recommend for this application? An MD recorder? If so, what features or model would you recommend? Are there other viable options? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 09:58 AM   #59
Inner Circle

I've been using a Sony NZ10 minidisc, and have gotten really good results. I bought it over the N707 because you can set the mic sensitivity to low, but in retrospect I don't know if this feature is worth the extra $100. The thing is damn small, that's for sure, and sounds great to my ears. I've since found that most people prefer Sharp minidiscs, which supposedly have better preamps. The controls are also bigger, and easier to manage on the Sharps. The buttons on my minidisc are a little too small for my liking. Keep in mind that the biggest drawback to minidisc is the copyright protection that prevents you from digitally transferring your recordings off the disc. There are ways to defeat this, but it requires investing in expensive equipment and is really a hassle.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 03:03 PM   #60
Tourist

Wireless Lapel Microphone for VX2000E

I have just started using the VX2000E (PAL) and I am excited about telling my own stories in troubled Africa . I would appreciate some suggestions on what brand model I should use as a wireless lapel mic for my vx 2000 and also a good shotgun mic. I would want to record presenters at workshops and also cover some traditional dancers what type of microphones should I buy. I am intending to produce a talk show where people would be discussing shortcomings of our dictator ( A very old man called Robert Mugabe who has brought a lof of suffering to the people of zimbabwe)

Thank you

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio