EV RE20/RE27 for Voice Over and Narration at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 29th, 2005, 09:11 AM   #1
Inner Circle

EV RE20/RE27 for Voice Over and Narration

Comments on the ElectroVoice RE 20 or RE27 mics for recording voice over and narration as opposed to other choices?
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #2
Trustee

They are very smooth and warm, although the RE20 requires a good preamp for best performance. The RE27 would be my choice for the roughly $50 price difference.
I sold my RE20 because I rarely used it and the resale value made it a deal for me that I couldn't pass up.
I'd say there are other alternatives that are equal or better in quality, more useful for other activities and cost less. It would depend on your recording space as to what specifically I'd recommend as an alternative.
I'm not knocking the EV's sound quality, they would be good choices for VO. I just think it's a lot of money to put into a single use mic when there are practical alternatives.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill
They are very smooth and warm, although the RE20 requires a good preamp for best performance. The RE27 would be my choice for the roughly $50 price difference.
I sold my RE20 because I rarely used it and the resale value made it a deal for me that I couldn't pass up.
I'd say there are other alternatives that are equal or better in quality, more useful for other activities and cost less. It would depend on your recording space as to what specifically I'd recommend as an alternative.
I'm not knocking the EV's sound quality, they would be good choices for VO. I just think it's a lot of money to put into a single use mic when there are practical alternatives.
Thanks for the thoughts. The RE20 has a certain nostalgic appeal harking back to my days as talk-radio on-air talent where the station's studio, announce booths and commercial production studio all used them as the mainstay mic. My airchecks always sounded good, and I think the mic complimented my voice well.
Old December 29th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Trustee

Another benefit is their ability to give good results in less than ideal spaces if you have less flexibility in that regard. Since you're familiar with how they work for your voice, that would be a plus that's normally not a factor for someone buying one by reputation alone.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio