Connecting the NTG2 to a 1/8 jack at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Connecting the NTG2 to a 1/8 jack

Hey I have the NTG2 rode shotgun mic on order, but I need to know the correct way to hook it up to my camcorder's 1/8 input. The guy ordered me in a basic 1/8 to XLR, but I've heard this isn't enough to totally balance it, what is the most popular product used to balance xlr to 1/8? Also I plan to use a mixer in the future, I'm going to be buying a behringer UB1204, is this acceptable for use with video, and how would I go about hooking it up? thanks

Luke
Luke McMillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke McMillian
Hey I have the NTG2 rode shotgun mic on order, but I need to know the correct way to hook it up to my camcorder's 1/8 input. The guy ordered me in a basic 1/8 to XLR, but I've heard this isn't enough to totally balance it, what is the most popular product used to balance xlr to 1/8? Also I plan to use a mixer in the future, I'm going to be buying a behringer UB1204, is this acceptable for use with video, and how would I go about hooking it up? thanks

Luke
A simple XLR to 1/8 adapter may or may not work properly depending on your camera. In any case, you lose all the advantages of a balanced microphone such as less susceptibility to noise pickup with longer cable runs etc. A true balanced to unbalanced adapter like a Beachtek is your best bet.

The UB1204 mixer would work fine for video but it requires mains power which limits where you'll be able to use it - a battery powered unit would be much more flexible. While it's considerably more expensive than the Behringer but something like a Sound Devices MixPre or other field/ENG mixer would be a better investment in the long run.
Old December 29th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #3
Trustee

To continue the advice, even after getting a mixer, you'll still use an adapter like the BeachTek to make the hookup to a camera that has only an 1/8-inch stereo mini input.
The chain would then be Mics (and other devices) hooked to the mixer, Mixer to BeachTek (set for Line-level signals), BeachTek to Camera.
The least expensive balanced adapter is made by Shure, but it must be physically secured, only has one input and no additional controls.
A BeachTek, Studio1 or Sign Video type adapter box solves these problems. The BeachTek DXA-6 can also provide phantom power.
An unbalanced adapter cable will work if it's wired properly, although as mentioned you lose the benefits of a balanced connection.
Do a search here, there's several threads that list all these parts.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey thanks very much, that cleared up a lot of things for me. Is this thr shure adapter you speak of?

http://www.shure.com/accessories/a96f.asp

The place I'm ordering from also ordered me a digiflex 1/8 to xlr,

http://www.digiflexcables.com/digifl..._en/video.html

The cable is on pg 11 of their price catalogue , altho there is a special cable on pg 14, not sure if it would be good. their price catalogue
http://www.digiflexcables.com/digifl...etail_1104.pdf

they said it was only like $8 or something. I'm guessing this would be unbalanced, not sure tho. I can always refuse the part if i want.

Luke
Luke McMillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 06:14 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hey thanks very much, that cleared up a lot of things for me. Is this thr shure adapter you speak of?

http://www.shure.com/accessories/a96f.asp

The place I'm ordering from also ordered me a digiflex 1/8 to xlr,

http://www.digiflexcables.com/digifl..._en/video.html

The cable is on pg 11 of their price catalogue , altho there is a special cable on pg 14, not sure if it would be good. their price catalogue
http://www.digiflexcables.com/digifl...etail_1104.pdf

they said it was only like $8 or something. I'm guessing this would be unbalanced, not sure tho. I can always refuse the part if i want.

Luke
The Shure adapter is the right thing. The Digiflex you ordered is a simple adapter that will have the problems we've discussed and shouldn't be needed.
Old January 1st, 2006, 08:32 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:

Luke
Luke,

A "regular" cable won't work. Trew audio in Nashville has a cable that will work. Tell them you want a mono female XLR with pin two to tip and ring and ground to sleeve. It's a balanced mono mic to unbalanced stereo input cable. It'll feed the mic to both channels.

I talk about it in my book. For short runs it will be fine.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio