sony mini disc?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 7th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #1
Major Player

sony mini disc??

I did a search but seems its been out dated and need some info. If you have used the sony mini disc for caputring voice audio please give me your feed back on what model # and mic you use for your set up. I am trying to avoid using a wireless system cause its out of my budget.

Thanks
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

We use a Sony MZ-N10 minidisc (non-HiMD) with a SoundDevices 302 mixer and Denecke AD20 AD converter and capture digitally with a Sony MXD-D400 deck. We invested in all this stuff before the hard disc and flash recorder technology had evolved to the point it is now. Our system works well enough I don't really see any need to upgrade. Sony still has too many annoying restrictions with HiMD, so I think we'll just skip that altogether. We'll probably upgrade to hard disc in a few years, but I'm in no hurry.

We try to record double system sound for all of our dialog. I had initially planned to use minidisc as a replacement for wireless, but have never gotten around to it. It's just easier to get your coverage on multiple takes. Can't give any advice on lavs though, although if you do a search I think you'll find that Giant Squid is a possibility on the extreme low end. Remember that minidisc recorders have plug in power. Whatever setup you go with will have to factor that in.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #3
Major Player

I use a HHB MDP 500. It is rugged, reliable and sounds great and has a lot of cool pro features.

I also have a Marantz 670 CF recorder that I use for back-up. The Marantz however has a bad habit of freezing when using my 1 gig card during record and needs to be re-booted to resume. This is really bad when recording live audio. Problem seems to be related to the card. My tried and true HHB mini has never let me down.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Fred

Hi Fred,

I'm speakig to a sound guy on Tuesday that I worked with a couple of months ago. they have a Sony mini for wild tracks but said it dould be used as additional dialogue recorder. I'll ask them what model and get back to you. I too was going to try and replace wireless setup with minidisk but I got cold feet. Stretching the budget now and going for Senn G2's I'll let you know how I get on.

Greg
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 04:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi MD Walkman MZ-Rh10

I use the Hi MD Walkman MZ-Rh10. Good thing about Hi MD recorders is their use of bigger disc, and the fact that you can actually transfer the recorded files directly to your PC as .wav files. The non- HiMD models did not have that capability, and you had to transfer them via line in to a recording program.

You do have to run things through the Sony Sonic Stage program, but it is not as difficult or as restrictive as some would have you believe.

Mic Jack in is a mini Stero plug. I have used a simple lavalier, a Sony ECm-MS907 stereo mic to record from. Finally, I have hooked up to my Senn ME-66 mic, using my Beachtech XLR adapter to convert to miniplug.

I also have a small Yamaha mixer that I can use to mix and record to the MiniDisc. At the last family wedding I shot, I went back and forth between using a lavelier with a wireless mic system, or the minidisk. I went wireless and had a lot of interference problems. I regretted not using the minidisc recorder in the grooms breast pocket.

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Inner Circle

My biggest beef with HiMD is that it won't allow you transfer your files digitally if the recordings were made with an AD converter. If one were making the recordings with the analog inputs, HiMD would clearly be the way to go, especially now that they've finally added Mac support. The one-time transfer limit is a big bummer too. I don't like the idea of Sony tinkering with my irreplaceable master when I do the transfer either. It's really too bad. HiMD could have really been a winner. Sony is pretty much forcing me to buy a hard disc recorder.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

More on Sony's HiMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
My biggest beef with HiMD is that it won't allow you transfer your files digitally if the recordings were made with an AD converter. If one were making the recordings with the analog inputs, HiMD would clearly be the way to go, especially now that they've finally added Mac support. The one-time transfer limit is a big bummer too. I don't like the idea of Sony tinkering with my irreplaceable master when I do the transfer either. It's really too bad. HiMD could have really been a winner. Sony is pretty much forcing me to buy a hard disc recorder.

I agree. Sony is more worried about Digital rights management with the general public, than they are about individual professionals or prosumers recording to the HiMD. My recommendation for use of HiMD recorder assumed analog mic input. Despite that limitation, the HiMD works great and if you are able to make the initial file transfer through Sonic Stage, then you have your master free to recopy and use at will. The transfer itself is pretty basic, and, absent a power failure, shouldn't create a problem. If for some reason, the transfer fails, and you still have the original file, that can be ported in to computer via realtime recording software, as a second generation. We used to do that anyway with the old Minidisk recorder.

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio