The powerful background sounds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 15th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #1
Major Player

The powerful background sounds

Hello,

In most movie trailers, especially scary films, they use such powerful soughing bass sound in the background which is especially awesome via sub-woofer. It adds a lot to the environment in my opinion. Now I would like to ask that how could I achieve such effect myself? Are there any sound effects available for this purpose or is it something else?

Some examples of what I mean:

Mission Impossible 3 - all the time in the background till about half of the trailer.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...impossibleiii/

X-MEN 3 - the especially powerful background music in the beginning and later a very powerful sound effect when a big door is opened. By the way, what effects are used to make a soundtrack having so big bass? It's not just the bass increase, because that usually just screws the things up.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/x3/

Thanks a lot!
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hunt around for Free sound effects sights, then look for appropriate sounds. You could of course, try and create your own as well.

Google "sound effects" and "Sound FX"
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

There are few things in professional life as fun as creating your own ambient "noises" like you describe, if you have the right tools. You need some sort of computer multi-track setup (such as pro tools, or any of the dozens of shareware items -- being able to see the waveforms and cut/paste is very useful). (On an OS9 bootable Mac, you can't beat ProTools Free). Additionally, you need plug-ins or off-board rack gear for ambience/reverb, pitch transposing (or a "harmonizer"), EQ (and preferably some sort of tight-Q filter) and compression/gating (and many shareware programs have a lot of these as well). It's really like "painting with sound"... record some various things and obtain some samples like car doors slamming, drum hits, explosions. Shift their pitch down, stretch their time signature, play with compression, reverb, etc. It's pretty addictive.

In my experience, audio compression seems to be the least understood of the above... look up some explanations on the web of things like threshold and ratio in compression, and play with some settings.

You could also look around for the home-studio enthusiast willing to experiment and collaborate; there are lots of folks (with huge message boards like this) who are every bit as gear crazy & creativity obsessed as the DV Net posters (and I mean that as a compliment!) Good luck.
Michael Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #4
Major Player

This is a lot of good advice! Thank you very much.

I will have a look at this and see if I can create something. Do you know any software for Windows which could do it? Is Adobe Audition okay for this purpose?

Thanks.
Old January 16th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm on a Mac, not sure what's out there for windows. (Since OSX became established, there seems to be a lot of plug-in architecture built-in... surprised how much shareware has quality multi-track & effects available.)

You could check pro tools web site and see if there's a "free" version for windows. Or if you want to drop a few bucks, there's a lot of CD-quality stuff on eBay from Digi and other majors. Basically project studio software with various levels of breakout boxes, which will have anything from RCA to XLR connectors, digital ports, SMPTE time code, etc., via USB, Firewire, or a PCI host card. A lot of the Event products are well thought of (Gina, Darla, and Layla come to mind) and affordable.

Beware, this stuff's as addictive as any other "electronics for creativity" (computers, cameras, etc)... but lots of video folks own some amount of mics, small mixers, etc. Being able to do a higher level of mixing and tweaking could be handy.
Michael Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Adobe Audition should really work for you. Don't bother with Pro Tools Free for Windows, it is a joke and discontinued a few years back. It crashes (literally) every other command. Real Pro Tools is a little different, but it's not anything you can't do in Audition.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #7
Inner Circle

You might take a look at Steinberg Nuendo. It's rapidly gaining a following in pro-audio, film and video sound editing and sound design circles, winning a number of converts from Pro-Tools. More than a bit pricey but definitely a contender at the very top of the heap.
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the replies! I will see what I can do. I'm afraid that high-quality results of such sounds need a lot of audio knowledge (pretty much like the music composers, DJs etc have in front of those large mixers) though.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 05:15 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ha! You are in luck...I have been trying to find the same sound for my trailer, and literally have sat around for months trying all different methods. I am not very good at sound, so I prefer just to buy ready-made effects, but I couldnt figure out what to type in. I tried "whoosh, swish, rumble, mumble, hiss, grumble, etc." and never could find a ready made effect.

Then finally I discovered what the industry calls those sounds:

DRONES

once I did a search on sounddogs.com for drone I got exactly what I was looking for.

Hope that helps.

Jstan
Jonathan Stanley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio