Mic'ing a Microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 16th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mic'ing a Microphone

I'm trying to get better audio when I do Debut and Quinceanera type of events. Since I can't mic the girls in their dresses, I'm thinking about securing one of my Sennheiser G2 wireless lapel mics on the microphone that everyone will be speaking through. Does anyone use this approach or have a better way of doing this?

Also, I have a Marantz PMD-670 that I plug into the source sound system where I can but I really don't like syncing the audio up.

Thanks,

Eric
Eric Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Eric,

I do that all the time when I tape seminars. If the speakers(s) will be standing at a podium, and especially when there are several and I don't want to mic up each one, I just put a little piece of gaffer tape on the gooseneck that's on the podium and clip my wireless lavalier to it. Just remember to clip it back far enough that you don't get awful plosives (popping "p"s), but close enough to get clear audio.

Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Depending upon the venue, there's often extra mixer outputs or an unused effect or monitor send; any way to go wireless from that? If your lav plugs into a transmitter via 1/4" or XLR, can you patch into the house board and transmit to your regular receiver? (Or can you get a transmitter for your frequency with an XLR in?)
Michael Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

A little piece of foam can help isolate a lav from the presenter thumping on the podium. Lav on a mic or gooseneck is a fine technique, IMHO. Being isolated from house sound can be a good thing.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum
A little piece of foam can help isolate a lav from the presenter thumping on the podium. Lav on a mic or gooseneck is a fine technique, IMHO. Being isolated from house sound can be a good thing.
Amen. A good bit of moleskin will also help if you don't have foam.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I especially like the idea of using one of my transmitters to plug into the house audio system. That opened up a new idea for me. Since I use my Marantz pmd670 to connect to the house sound anyway, i'll plug my transmitter into the headphone jack of the Marantz and get house sound sync'd up to the video that way and still have my backup sound recorded on the Marantz!

Thanks again guys!

Eric Holloway
Eric Holloway is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio