So pro-world means "Mono" recording ? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 16th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #46
Inner Circle

M/S micing can be achieved by using separate Mid and Side mics or with some mics aready configured for M/S that have both capsules in one body.

Neumann RSM 191 (gorgeous sounding but pricey)
The Sennheiser 418s
Sanken CSS-5
AT 835ST (I think).....come to mind.

If you have a mixer like the Sound Devices 442, you can record in M/S but monitor in regular stereo because it has a built in matrix for the headphones. It also has another matrix so you can convert M/S mics to s regular stereo output.

Regards,
Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #47
Regular Crew

so can we say that: without a mixer we can not use MS mics ? because it has two 3pin xlr output. when I want to plug to camera xlr inputs I need to switch any of two, not both at tha same time, or cameras (such as XL2) does sound mix among the two inputs ?

am I right ?

regards
alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Well you can record MS directly to the camera, one mic per channnel, but then you'll have to dematrix them in post.

And monitoring will be weird unless your mixer will dematrix the M/S.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old February 19th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkim Un
so can we say that: without a mixer we can not use MS mics ? because it has two 3pin xlr output. when I want to plug to camera xlr inputs I need to switch any of two, not both at tha same time, or cameras (such as XL2) does sound mix among the two inputs ?

am I right ?

regards
alkim.
Not necessarily. When you say "M/S mics" are you talking about single-unit stereo mics that use the M/S principle but do the matrixing inside the mic's own electronics or are you talking about two separate microphones, one cardiod and one figure-8 mounted together on one stand? If it's the former the two cables coming out of the microphone have already had the M/S signal mixed inside the mic to create the left and right channels and you just plug 'em in to the L/R inputs on your camera or recorder like any other microphone pair and fageddaboutit. If it's the latter you will need to do the matrixing yourself to combine the M/S signals in order to derive the left and right stereo channels. This can be done while recording the original using a mixer before sending it to the recorder or camera if you have a mixer with the necessary circuitry or you can record them as two source master tracks which will then need to be mixed in post before they become proper sounding left and right stereo channels. If you're doing it in post you do it in your NLE using the method I mentioned earlier in the thread, you can send the signal out of the interface through a hardware matrixing circuit if you're using an audio workstation and interface that allows for looping a signal out through external device sends, or you can use any of a number of software plugins available for audio and video workstations that do M/S decoding in software if you use an NLE that supports plugins.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:16 AM   #50
Regular Crew

I talk about one cardoit and ona figure-8 together, and two 3 pin XLR output, pne is for cardoit and other is for figure-8. so will I plug these two outputs to two inputs? such as XL2 has two inputs. camera record seperate channels, and then I dematrix in post ? but without a micer How I monitor on XL2 camera. is there any option switching any source for monitoring ?

another question:
many MS mics has two 3pin or one XLR-5M outputs, such as AT815ST, Neumann RSM 191 etc. each of these outputs represent one element ? if so, if I plug only cardoit element to the camera, MS mic behaves like mono shutgun ?

thanks,
alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:23 AM   #51
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Alkim Un]I talk about one cardoit and ona figure-8 together, and two 3 pin XLR output, pne is for cardoit and other is for figure-8. so will I plug these two outputs to two inputs? such as XL2 has two inputs. camera record seperate channels, and then I dematrix in post ? but without a micer How I monitor on XL2 camera. is there any option switching any source for monitoring ?

**You monitor though the headphone jack as always, but it will sound weird. Rely mostly on the M channel and keep good levels.

another question:
many MS mics has two 3pin or one XLR-5M outputs, such as AT815ST, Neumann RSM 191 etc. each of these outputs represent one element ? if so, if I plug only cardoit element to the camera, MS mic behaves like mono shutgun ?

**Pretty much. The AT 835ST is shorter and better than the AT815ST and both have a switch that lets you choose mono shotgun or XY stereo or MS.

Please visit the online archives on my website for my review of the mic.

Ty Ford
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #52
Regular Crew

I finally got a MKH 418S MS and found that I could monitor the M channel on my XL2 by pulling the headphone jack half way out of the plug.
I bring the DV signal into FCP just like any other, and wind up with a left and right stereo channel, M on one channel and S on the other. Then I duplicate the S channel, and place the dup on a third track in the timeline.
I pan the S channels in opposite directions, and make sure the M channel is centered. It sounds great, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. It seems as if there should be more stereo spread but I guess thats what a single M/S mic gives you.
When I bring down the two side channels I get a very strong and clean middle channel. I can stand about six feet away from the mic in a noisy environment, talking at a normal level and it sounds almost as good as a lavalier.
There is a draw-back though. Does anybody know of a 7-3pin XLR converter that I can use to hook up to a plug-on transmitter?
As far as I know, If you just want to go hand-held with a reporter there is know way make this mic wireless.

Michael
Michael Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Sounds like you left out one step in your NLE. After you have duplicated the S track, invert the phase on the duplicate. The exact mix is L=M+(+S) and R=M+(-S) (Assuming that when you recorded, the "front" of the figure-8 side mic was pointed stage left.)

Last edited by Steve House; July 29th, 2006 at 03:54 AM.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #54
Inner Circle

persactiplopoly!

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio