Sony UWP wireless lav system vs ATU100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 24th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony UWP wireless lav system vs ATU100?

I'm comparing these two wireless lav systems to use on a sony pd170 camcorder. anyone have an informed opinion on which is better all around. i'd be ok with the AT's heavier weight if I thought the performance would be better, but if they are about equal in performance and signal & sound quality, i'll probably go for the Sony. Will be used primarily for speaking voice, eg., interviews, documentaries, events, & misc.
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #2

Which two wireless'?
The U100 for instance, is a very sweet wireless system, and hard to beat, especially if you're comparing it to the Sony UWP system. I have both.
On the other hand, you can put any mic on either system. I've got AT899s on both my Sony and AT systems. The AT goes a bit farther, it's true diversity. The Sony is lighter weight, and faster to set up.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

sony UWP vs. ATU100

Thanks for the response. I think I'm leaning away from the AT because I prefer something I can actually mount right on the PD170 for when I move around handheld. I talked with Sony today to clarify the "space diversity" thing and he clarified that it is not "true diversity" but an attempt to provide something better than no diversity. I would definitely upgrade the lav mic if I get the Sony. I was thinking of the ECM-44 omni lav because I've used that for some years and know it does pretty good for the type of stuff I shoot. But if anyone has an opinion about the ECM-44 vs something else & better for around $100 I be happy to hear why something might serve my purpose better - must be omni.

Now that I'm narrowing the choice to camera mountable I guess I should include the Sennheiser G2 back in the mix. I had eliminated that choice because of no diversity.

A colleague told me today he really likes the performance reliability of his Sony UWP, but has a consistent problem where there are some sound abnormalites - sort of hisslike, like a gain up (his words) when the speaker stops talking. I thought it was probably just something he had not adjusted properly in the internal setup. Any thoughts on this - and should I go for sony over sennheiser?

B&H sales warns me they can't get replacement parts for the Sony & they are really pushing the Sennheiser and dissing the sony - even saying i can't upgrade the mic on the sony which is not true.
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio