can you camera mount this hypercardioid for interiors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 6th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

can you camera mount this hypercardioid for interiors?

Audio-Technica U873R UNIOPOINT HANDHELD MICROPHONE

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It si 5.6 ounces and costs less than $200. I haven;t found any cheap alternatives, except for the RODE NT3 whici is unfortunately too heavy and bulky.

The other alternative is the Oktava MK012 but my question is applicable to that mike as well: can i mount it on the camera with a good shockmount?

thank you
Maximo Salaberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Trustee

Yes you can use this hypercardioid as an on-camera mic, but it will suffer from the usual problems associated with keeping a mic on the camera.
The U873r is the newer version of the older AT873r that I have a lot of experience with. I haven't used the new model, which has much lower self-noise but also lower sensitivity. Handling noise is very low on the older model and I assume it's still good on the new. Not sure what to say about the directionality and off-axis coloration since I haven't heard it myself. The one review I've read seemed like it might be more directional and prone to more off-axis coloration, but that person had never used the older model to compare it.
If you have phantom power available and a good preamp to make best use of its sensitivity in quiet situations, it is a viable mic choice for interiors at this price point and physical size. It's easier to shockmount than the much smaller Oktava, while still being small and light. Also easy to wind protect and can be used for booming and handheld when needed, at least that's what I've done with the old version many times.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo Salaberry
Audio-Technica U873R UNIOPOINT HANDHELD MICROPHONE

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It si 5.6 ounces and costs less than $200. I haven;t found any cheap alternatives, except for the RODE NT3 whici is unfortunately too heavy and bulky.

The other alternative is the Oktava MK012 but my question is applicable to that mike as well: can i mount it on the camera with a good shockmount?

thank you
How much noise does your camera make?

The best position for a mic is as close to the edge of the frame of the shot as possible. No more than about 18 inches for ANY hypercardioid.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio