Sony Freedom WRT 805 radio mic system (64 Germany & 69 UK) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 15th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #1
Trustee

Sony Freedom WRT 805 radio mic system (64 Germany & 69 UK)

I have a problem...

I own the superb Sony Freedom WRT 805 Transmitter & WRR 805 Tuner system (I'm extremely pleased with the high perfomance of this kit).

Recently I bought another new WRT 805 Transmitter to be able to use two wireless mics with two people at the same time. Unfortunately, I've just found out after unpacking the new 805 Transmitter, that it is the 64 version (for Germany/Europe) and not the UK version designated 69. The only way of actually knowing the difference between the 64 and 69 version of the Sony 805 is a tiny number imprinted on the back of each.

I don't think there is any way now that I can use the new 805 Transmitter with my WRR 805 Tuner (due to the different 69 and 64 signal bands).

If there is anybody out there who has the 64 Tuner model and would like to buy my Transmitter, or even know of a way round the problem so that I could use it with my present Sony kit, please let me know.
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick
I have a problem...

I own the superb Sony Freedom WRT 805 Transmitter & WRR 805 Tuner system (I'm extremely pleased with the high perfomance of this kit).

Recently I bought another new WRT 805 Transmitter to be able to use two wireless mics with two people at the same time. Unfortunately, I've just found out after unpacking the new 805 Transmitter, that it is the 64 version (for Germany/Europe) and not the UK version designated 69. The only way of actually knowing the difference between the 64 and 69 version of the Sony 805 is a tiny number imprinted on the back of each.

I don't think there is any way now that I can use the new 805 Transmitter with my WRR 805 Tuner (due to the different 69 and 64 signal bands).

If there is anybody out there who has the 64 Tuner model and would like to buy my Transmitter, or even know of a way round the problem so that I could use it with my present Sony kit, please let me know.
I don't know about those models but is the receiver a dual channel receiver, able to work on two different transmitters at once? If not, you'll need a matching receiver as well as a second transmitter to get two channels at once.
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Send that transmitter back, if you can.

Steve is right, there is no dual receiver in the 805 receiver line.

A "64" covers UHF channels 65-65.
"68" channels 68-69.

To stick with 805s, you would need another transmitter and receiver.

Alternative - see if you can find an 805 receiver on ch. 64. Note that some of the newer 800 series (not 805) cover twice the channels, ie. a 66/68 covers channels 66-69. All the 800 series is compatible, you can use any other of the receivers that have the right channel range.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for the information Seth (I've rang around and they say similar to what you've just said). Drats! More money to find...

I was going to use it mainly when I had two people at distance - speaking at different intervals during the shoot - and then simply change channels between both. Now I understand that that isn't possible.

The best idea, as you've mentioned, is probably for me to buy another WRR 805 (German 64 version) so that I can pick-up both voices at the same time (or manually turn down the left/right audio dial when I need to mute either one).

I could fit two WRR 805 recievers on the back of the XL camera no problem.

So, if I have one WRR 805 (64 version) and one WRR 805 (69 version) set at different channels - connected to the same camera via two seperate XLR cables - and two WRT 805 (64 & 69) transmitters on two people I should be OK?
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick
So, if I have one WRR 805 (64 version) and one WRR 805 (69 version) set at different channels - connected to the same camera via two seperate XLR cables - and two WRT 805 (64 & 69) transmitters on two people I should be OK?
Yes, 2 receivers in that config would be fine.

Note - you don't necc. have "german" and "uk" sets. At least in the U.S., both freq ranges are available in Sony 800 series.

Regarding your original plan, if you had two 68 transmitters on different freqs, and had the time to change freqs at the receiver when you needed to, I think you would be fine with 2 transmitters and 1 receiver. Unusual situation, typically it's one trans. to one rec., but what you'd planned would work with the correct 2nd transmitter.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio