mix question? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 18th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #1
Major Player

mix question?

Hi Guys,

I just recorded some footage with sound using both xlr inputs on the camera. My question is in the nle should i be able to have seperate control over those two track as I recorded them through seperate inputs. I only ask as when I put the footage into the nle it all appears on one audio track. Have I captured it correctly or is there a way of splitting these two chanels in the edit e.g something like copying the track twice into two more tracks and playing left and right sides respectively. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I'm really new to the sound thing.

Also, just to get back to the monitoring with headphone thing, I've noticed that with headphones I can really hear off axis direction from the director but through speakers it is barely audible is this normal? When I've been on set I've often wondered how a director can give directions during the take without messing up the audio is this why? i.e that the off axis sound become much less audible in the mix?

Cheers Guys Greg C
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Greg,

While you may see one audio track, there are two separate channels.

Which which non-linear editor (NLE) you are using?

There is usually a way to control the two audio tracks. You may use "Panning" controls, or be able to select just the left or right track, or perform other functions. All of this depends on which editor you are using.

Yes, you can copy the track and then select just the left or right channel. Again, this depends on your NLE. All of this is very easy in Vegas. Try right clicking on the audio track to see if a shortcut menu pops up.

The sound you hear in headphones will be different than the sound you hear through speakers. It is a recommended practice to not mix with headphones. This does not mean that you can not use headphones at all during the editing process, just do not use them for the final mix.
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks

Thanks Dan,

I'm using adobe prem 6.5. Are you familiar with how to split the two channels in premiere. Failing that I assume if i've recorded through two channels what I'm hearing from the left speaker is one of those chanels and what I'm hearing through the right is the other. I'm only using mono mics so I guess if only one track was on my NLE I'd only be getting sound from one side. I'm getting sound from both so I assume these are the two channels so I just need a way to split them so I can work on them indavidually. I'm not sure if when I pan the whole track to the left the NLE is panning both chanels to the left or allowing me to just hear the left chanel if it is the former this is not a solution I guess. I need a way to create a track copy my two chanel track into the new track bias just the left or right chanel then copy that into another new track centre it again and start working on it from there? This may seem a really stupid way of doing though I don't know. At least I have the two chanels in there somewhere. Many thanks on your thought Dan, or anyone else for that matter.

Greg C
Old February 18th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #4
Inner Circle

For a mono track the pan control sends it either to the left channel, right channel, or both, and its position determines the relative amount going to each. If you have a mono track and the pan control is in its centre position, the default, that track is going to go equally to both the left and right speakers.

For a stereo track, the same pan control is more like a conventional stereo "balance" control, adjusting the relative volume of the left and right channels. Turning it to the left does NOT move the right channel over onto the left. Instead it makes the left channel play at whatever volume the faders are set for and turns the right channel way down or off.
Old February 18th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Greg,

Sorry, but I am not familar with Premiere, I use Vegas 6.0.

I expect a Premiere user will be able to respond.

What you are requesting is fairly normal, and all professional editors should be able to perform this function (panning of the audio signals, duplicating audio tracks).

Do you have access to the Premiere manuals or help files. If so, do a search on "pan", "panning", "audio tracks", "audio" or "left channel".
Old February 18th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Guys,

Thyanks for the input. I think I've worked out how to do the above. I suppose what I'm really wantig to know is would this be the way you guys would try and achieve this recovery of channels i.e. copying and panning and re-copying etc, etc or is there an easier/more conventional route.

Thanks again for the great input it's much appreciated.

Greg C
Old February 18th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Greg,

Based on your posts, I belive that I would first use the pan controls.

If this is not satisfactory, then copying the audio tracks, and then performing any other steps, such as selecting the left or right channel or performing other audio functions would be my next step.

Be advised, if you just duplicate an audio track, and leave both active, you are effectively increasing it's audio level (doubling the audio level).
Old February 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Dan,

I'll try a few tests see how I get on. Thanks again for your help it is much appreciated.

Greg
Greg Corke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio