Monster Cables... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:34 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Of course we're happy when people buy from our sponsors, but in this case being able to touch and hold the actual cables might sway your decision one way or another. Have you looked at cables in any local stores?

It's only an hour away... What do you guys use? I need S-video, and I need a connector to my TV.
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:26 AM   #17
Major Player

I'm always amused when one of these strings pops-up. Even with an electronics engineering background, I've occasionally (stupidly) bought into the hype and tried a Monster cable. In more cases than not, I've screwed-up my connectors trying to get the dang things plugged-in! Some have been so tight that I pulled the connectors off when un-plugging! Pretty, but useless, IMHO.

While I agree with Spot about not completely buying into the statement that "copper is copper", it all comes down to the I-squared-R factor in the cable -- use an adequate size for the current capacity required that doesn't in turn wreck your connectors. For example, a flexible 12 guage stranded zip cord on a speaker will work just as well as any Monster type cable, regardless of the price. As someone mentioned, depending on the application, shielding and the connectors are much more important than all the gee-whiz factor of the cable. Spend your money where you can get more bang for the buck.

Last edited by Vic Owen; February 23rd, 2006 at 01:06 PM.
Vic Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:58 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Waters
It's only an hour away... What do you guys use? I need S-video, and I need a connector to my TV.
Well in that case, by all means just go to B&H in person! As far as "what do I use".... I get regular consumer grade cables from places like Best Buy and Circuit City. Really, this ain't rocket science :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:22 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Owen
While I agree with Spot about not completely buying into the statement that "copper is copper", it all comes down to the I-squared-R factor in the cable -- use an adequate size for the current capacity required that doesn't in turn wreck your connectors. ....

Oh yes, should have said "all things equal" Gotta compare apples to apples and all that and comparing Monster cable to thin little #24 "speaker cable" is not what I meant. But $5 a foot "boutique" #14 stranded copper and $0.15 a foot hardware store #14 stranded copper is going to be pretty much the same.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio