iriver Giant Squid + iriver mp3 recorder vs. wired GS - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 28th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #16
Regular Crew

again, thank you so much for your very valuable input.
There is no doubt whatsoever that the other solutions you mention are of higher quality, thank you for pointing them out.

For 9 months out of the year I am living more or less 'out of my suitcase' and my shootings are done in this time, so portability is of outmost importance. However I do trust in the statement that the sound makes 50% or 70% of the end product, and considering that I opted for a Pana GS400 to be my first videocam my audio recording facilities might deserve to be upgraded. Because of portability I have not considered a beachtec or alike seriously yet. I try to be content with my Pana mic, will now add the GS+iriver set, but yes, also do wonder how best to upgrade. However should that not be a mic like e.g. the Videomic to substitute my Pana mic before going for a better lav?

I also had posted querries regarding the use of iriver for recording in this: http://www.misticriver.net/ forum which is dedicated to the iriver mp3 players. In the last answer I was pointed to the following page: http://www.videouniversity.com/iriver.shtml
which I must share here as it is a very useable step by step tutorial how to set up the iriver for our purpose. Generally many good advices for the videographer, also e.g. regarding the issue of syncronisation can be found in the forums there.

I am also very happy abt. your comments regarding 'extension wire'. Using one I certainly will try to use my mic off the camera ( being able to do that was the main reason why, when buying, I opted for the cheaper 'wired' Pana mic and not for the expensive hot shoe mic )
Andreas Griesmayr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio