She Makes My Nose Bleed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 28th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #1
Major Player

She Makes My Nose Bleed

Hello Audio Experts,

So here's the deal. I recorded a talk this weekend direct to CD-R. Now I want to import to Pro-Tools for editing. When I pop the CD into my G5, an icon is created that says "Mansun: She Makes My Nose (Bleed) Promo Single" I do not know who Mansun is. And why my Mac thinks that is the name of this CD. I am thinking that i-tunes is causing this, but I am not sure. The workflow I am trying for is CD to desk top, to Toast for conversion to aif then into ProTools. At first the names where kinda funny when you consider the client, but now it is annoying. Any thoughts?
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #2
Trustee

My first guess would be that your Mac was operating on a live connection to the internet at the time you mounted the CD, and your iTunes preferences are set to access the CDDB database to identify what it believes your CD to be. The CDDB is a database containing identifier tags relative to audio CD content, primarily the content length data of he number of tracks, the length of the tracks, and the overall length of the disc (maybe 1 or all of these factors as my info is fairly rudimentary). When you mount an audio CD, iTunes will access the CDDB and compare your mounted disc to stored info in the database - if it finds a match, it will allocate the matching identity info to the mounted disc and store that id info in your local iTunes folder - so that subsequent mounts will more quickly recognize the disc. This also serves as an amazing convenience when ripping audio CD's into iTunes as this process will quickly and easily allow you to rip the songs into your library without having to apply any effort in typing in proper information for your tracks.

If multiple CD options are found, iTunes will prompt you to find the matching info form a provided list.

I think that pretty much anyone can also choose an iTunes option that allows you to load the track info from your mounted disc right into the CDDB as well, which in my mind lends the process to a plethora of wrong info - resulting in misspellings or mislabeled tracks, both of which I have seen a great deal of.

Apparently this Mansun CD info is loaded into the CDDB, and matches the specs of your mounted CD.

I would think it is unlikely that the CD title is actually burned in a a part of the disc. If you loaded it into another Mac that was not connected to the internet, it would likely come up as an untitled CD. As such, you should be able to change the disc name on your desktop. I am not sure if this would have any bearing on the way iTunes recognizes it next time.

Hope this helps.
-Jon
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you, I went in and unchecked a whole lotta boxes in the I tunes prefs and now my CD says "Audio CD". Ahhhh....

Now do you think Condi, Hillary, Jeb, or Kerry or any other 08 wannabe would have taken the time to answer my question? Heck, my wife is still fuming about asking Doolittle a question about Social Security and getting a form letter about a UN plot to take over the internet.

You have my vote.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson

You have my vote.
Awesome!!! As you can imagine, I'm gonna need all I can get because so far, as opposed to the other names you mentioned, I don't have a whole lot of name recognition...I'm only Jon Jones...but I'm working really hard on this campaign...I figure I need probably about 100 million votes or something like that, so that's alot of work between now and '08

lol

Glad the iTunes thing worked out for you.
-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio