Any tips on doing Looping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:57 AM   #1
Trustee

Any tips on doing Looping?

I shot an instructional video and used a shotgun mic that left me with what I feel is bad audio - too much "roominess" (Sorry if that is the wrong term. The mic was probably too far away.)

I want to lip sync a new narration, using Vegas, or recording to a mini-disk. Can you please offer any tips you may have for this technique.

Thanks,

Paul Cascio

Last edited by Paul Cascio; March 3rd, 2006 at 07:20 PM.
Paul Cascio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Do a search on "dialogue replacement". Mr. Papert can give you the tech details on this if he reads this post.

As I recall, these voice files are 6 to 1o seconds each to allow for subtle time stretching to match the video clip.

I hope you don't have a few hours of sync'ing to do...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:26 AM   #3

I have a magazine article I did last year on the subject.
http://vasst.com/resource.aspx?id=9c...4-ac6d5c41d617 will get you there.
You might also check out the article on the voicebox, or watch the little video.
http://www.vasst.com/files/product/k...s-voicebox.wmv
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McKenzie
Do a search on "dialogue replacement". Mr. Papert can give you the tech details on this if he reads this post.

As I recall, these voice files are 6 to 1o seconds each to allow for subtle time stretching to match the video clip.

I hope you don't have a few hours of sync'ing to do...
...or certainly the highly respected D.S.E.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Have you tried EQ to improve what you already have? If you have extra boominess (ie too much reverb from a room) but otherwise the audio isn't bad, you might try a 3 db/Q = 2 dip in your parametric equalizer sweeping b/t the frequencies of 200-400 Hz. Experiment with it a bit.
If there's too much noise from improper mic placement, then try rolling off frequencies as much as possible under 200 Hz for women and 130 for men. Then possibly try doing the same for frequencies over 12,000 Hz. There's a good article about it on Dv.com called 'Shh- The Silent Art of Noise Reduction'. I believe that's the title, but look for something by Jay Rose.
Sorry if you already know all this, but I consider looping an incredible pain in the a**, especially if you don't have vocalign and have to use reverb plugins to make the audio match the scene right. So I try to avoid it or get someone with experience to do it if at all possible.
Ashley Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #6
Trustee

Fixing what's there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Cooper
Have you tried EQ to improve what you already have? If you have extra boominess (ie too much reverb from a room) but otherwise the audio isn't bad, you might try a 3 db/Q = 2 dip in your parametric equalizer sweeping b/t the frequencies of 200-400 Hz. Experiment with it a bit.
If there's too much noise from improper mic placement, then try rolling off frequencies as much as possible under 200 Hz for women and 130 for men. Then possibly try doing the same for frequencies over 12,000 Hz. There's a good article about it on Dv.com called 'Shh- The Silent Art of Noise Reduction'. I believe that's the title, but look for something by Jay Rose.
Sorry if you already know all this, but I consider looping an incredible pain in the a**, especially if you don't have vocalign and have to use reverb plugins to make the audio match the scene right. So I try to avoid it or get someone with experience to do it if at all possible.
Thanks Ashley, I was going to ask for the help you suggested, but thought I would try looping so I could also change some VO and wanted consistent audio. I will try your suggestions.
Old March 4th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Cool, let us know how it goes!
Ashley Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio