Audioequipment for Panny GS400 (XLR and mic) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 9th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audioequipment for Panny GS400 (XLR and mic)

Hi,

I'm looking to buy some audio equipment for my Panasonic GS400. I definately want an XLR adaptor so I can use two mono inputs. Preferably one with an amplifier. And then I need a good shotgun mic for the hotshoe. Good but no neccesarely pro sound - my budget is rather tight.

So is beachtek the choise for the XLR? And wich model will fit my camera? And what about the mic?

Oh yeah, and if you know a place that ships to Denmark (europe) fairly cheap that'll be appreciated.

Thanks!
Thomas Hartz-Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #2
New Boot

The Beachtek's http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ar&A=search&Q= are nice, but I'm not sure what you mean by an adapter with an amplifier. Mics don't need amplifiers, unless you mean phantom power, which the higher end Beachteks can supply. Another XLR adapter is the Sign-Video XLR-PRO, http://www.signvideo.com/xlr-pro_xlr...udio-mixer.htm . It has no phantom power either, but individual phantom power units can be purchased for around US$50 I believe.

As far as compatibility with the GS400, anything with an unbalanced headphone output (which all the XLR adapters are, since that's what they're adapting XLR to) will work. The GS400 also has manual audio controls, meaning you can attenuate the level if it's too high. My GS150 sadly lacks this feature, forcing me to buy a Radio Shack headphone volume control.
wediddoit at gmail dot com
_______________/
MSN: cptshaddox at hotmail dot com
_______/
Thomas Shaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. I don't know I just thought some had a feature that amplified the sound.

That first link to the beachtek doesn't work though?

What about a shotgun mic? Any suggestions? The Rode Videomic looks nice but it's not XLR.

EDIT: That Signvideo XLR-Pro looks nice. I'm definately thinking about buying that. Can I trust the site with my visa details?
Thomas Hartz-Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #4
New Boot

Yes, I've ordered that unit from them. They're very quick and reliable, and the unit itself (the XLR-Pro) is very sturdy amd well made....
Daniel Manasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Don't worry that the Rode VideoMic isn't XLR. I used Beachtek DXA-2S and VideoMic when I had GS400 and it was a perfect setup. I made a miniplug->XLR converter myself according to the instructions provided by Pana3CCD User members http://www.pana3ccduser.com/showthread.php?t=4041 . Make sure you scroll down to the Guy's instructions as the first ones are not correct.

You can also plug VideoMic to the addon XLR box' AUX input which is miniplug. I just found it a bit uncomfortable.
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #6
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Hartz-Olsson
Thanks. I don't know I just thought some had a feature that amplified the sound.

That first link to the beachtek doesn't work though?

What about a shotgun mic? Any suggestions? The Rode Videomic looks nice but it's not XLR.

EDIT: That Signvideo XLR-Pro looks nice. I'm definately thinking about buying that. Can I trust the site with my visa details?
You were correct about amplification. The Beachtek DXA-8 does supply some amplification as well as phantom power and limiting.

Regarding the B&H link that didn't work, just go to their main page, bhphotovideo.com, and use the search feature to search for Beachtek or XLR adapter.

Rode makes a mini plug to XLR plug adaptor for the VideoMic, which is also available at B&H.

--
Fred
Old March 13th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Okay I bought the 2S of B&H and I'm getting the Rode videomic of ebay. I'm waiting to see if I'll just use the minijack plug or i'll just get one of my friends to make the plug into an xlr. His a genius with audioequipment and he's soldered the first 1000 cables I think ;)

Thanks for your help. Will post a pic of the setup when everything is recieved.
Thomas Hartz-Olsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio