New shotgun mic available soon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:50 PM   #1
New Boot

New shotgun mic available soon

Ok, I guess that may sound like a commercial, but, well, it's not...

First of all, I'll be talking about a product that doesn't exist (yet), and the post is here more to share my story than anything else...

So, beside running my VFX company, I'm also a really creative person. Maybe because I grew up surrounded by cameras and film folks, I'll be shooting my short really soon.

I could buy or rent any mic I want, but since, as I said, I'm really creative and also quite business-oriented (hey, I need money as anyone else does! :)) I decided I'll build my very own mike. And because I have a legally registered company, I'll start building them for others too. For... let's say... around $300, maybe even less! The perfect mike for indies on a budget, huh?

Anyway, I gathered together a team of engineers and the first prototype is being produced right now. We'll start the first test in the next few weeks, and after we'll get the results we want, the mic will be availabe for sale.

In the meantime, here's a little teasing 3D render of what the final product should look like:

http://www.3dgestudio.com/sm01.jpg

Any comments regarding my obviously psychotic ideas are really welcome ;)

Cheers,

Seb
Seb Pelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Fred Retread

You'll find that people in here are pretty serious and critical about mics, and you may encounter some skepticism regarding your casual entry into this highly specialized field, but good luck with your project.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:01 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Seb,

You are doing wrong here. What you really need is to offer a sound file of your test microphone, not a picture. It does not matter how cool the picture of your microphone looks like IMHO.

In return for my comments, can you download my video on my website www.smootharm.com and give some comments about my stabilizer?

We are business people, right? ;-)

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:08 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for your replies:

My post may seem a bit "fake", however the mic is really being developed by real sound experts and electic and mechanical engineers... It will be a real product, and as soon as the prototype will be ready, I'll post sound samples (and all techie specs).

I know the picture nor the look of the mike are important, I just shared a render from an original CAD drawing. However, I think the final unit will be different anyway :)

Thanks again,

Seb
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:12 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi Seb,

What is your comment to my stabilizer? ;-)

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Seb,

Don't make the same mistake Focus made with the FireStore and not have people test your product in the field before releasing it. Let the pros try out your mic out before you put it up for sale. There are always little flaws in technology that can only be discovered by using it in different situations.

There are a number of audio experts on this board who probably wouldn't mind borrowing your mic for a week or two and giving you some constructive criticism. Believe me, it would pay off.
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

HEY! Wait a minute! I get PAID to do that!

Seriously, if I divulged the results of the "shakedown cruises" I've done on audio gear, I'd be sued (non-disclosure agreements) but I do them fairly regularly. Cost for a written report fro a mic is abuout $250.

For publicized reviews, check the OnLine archive on my website.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 05:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb Pelan
Anyway, I gathered together a team of engineers and the first prototype is being produced right now.
Seb
How's the project coming?
What are your design specs?
How are you powering the mic?
What mics are you hoping to compete with?
Is it designed to use pre-existing windscreens?
Any other accessories, mounts etc?

thanks
Don Boosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 06:34 PM   #9
New Boot

Hi Don,

In a few days all the aluminium parts for the first prototype will be finished. Same for the PCB. I'm still looking for a good source for metal mesh, but I guess I'll manage this too next week.

The mic (at least this first model) will be powered by phantom power only.
The mic will have an unidirectional supercardioid capsule inside, I'll try different brands and manufacturers to see which one gives the best results. That means I still don't have much info about it's specs right now.

I guess this model will easily compete with mikes such as Sennheiser's ME67 (with a K6P powering capsule). The design right now has no additional filters, but I may be adding some noise / hum removal and bandpass in the final electronics. We'll see.

I hope to have the mike on the market by the end of this summer (that's really optimistic, but hopefully I'll make it). As soon as the mike will be tested and ready, I'll start working on it's accessories. Windshields, shockmounts, blimps... everything is planned.

Projects for the future include a complete line of various types of mikes. But let's finish the shotgun first.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys informed on my progress.

Cheers,

Seb
Old March 31st, 2006, 06:37 PM   #10
New Boot

To Leigh: Sorry I didn't answer immediately. As soon as I'll have a minute I'll check out your stabilizer and let you know what I think :)

To Mark and TY: As soon as I'll test out the prototype myself, I'll let you know. I really want it tested by an expert too!

Seb
Old April 1st, 2006, 01:27 AM   #11
Major Player

Ty Ford and Douglass Spotted Eagle seem to be the resident experts, so I'm sure their expertise would be well worth the investment.
Old April 1st, 2006, 06:27 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Getting mumps, as an adult, is no fun.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 03:08 PM   #13
Trustee

Hi Seb,

Thanks

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb Pelan
To Leigh: Sorry I didn't answer immediately. As soon as I'll have a minute I'll check out your stabilizer and let you know what I think :)

Seb
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio