Soundproofing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 26th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Soundproofing

I have just had a new room built which I will be using for editing & recording (ADR & Vocals etc). The room is very quite at the moment, but I know that as soon as I put the computer in there, noise will follow!!

I don't have the luxury of housing the computer in a separate room, so I was toying with the idea of putting it in an acoustic enclosure.

So, does anyone have any tips for building an acoustic cupboard that will both drastically cut down on noise and maintain a good airflow ?
Declan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #2
Trustee

You should go with a quiet pc set up.I ordered a new audio rig from PCaudiou in California for a client of mine. I specified their most quiet enclosure, and it's so quiet, you can't even tell that it's on. So after hearing( or NOT hearing) that, I bought the components to do that to my own music rig.
Here's what I bought ( haven't had time to put it together yet).
1-Antec "sonata II" quiet case.
2-Zalman "Ultra quietcpu cooler (fan)"
3- Acoustic foam specially formed for this case from Quiet PC USA ( but I think the stuff comes from the UK-www.acousticproducts.com.
This way I'll be able to keep my computer in the same room I'm recording in , minus the noise.
Good luck
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

CNET.com has a pretty good DIY recipe for soundproofing your computer.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7...1.html?tag=txt

I've never tried it myself, but it sounds good to me. I have a Powerbook G4, and it's very quiet - never interferes with any recording.

Steve
Steve Sirinides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #4

There are also cooled enclosures for your CPU/tower made specifically to silence the system completely. Using the Matrox 650, and liquid cooled system, there is zero noise from my main box. The hard drives are rubber-mounted, so it's the only real moving part in the box. My drives are predominantly elsewhere, just the boot and secondary drive in tower. The DVD Burner is noisy when burning, but I don't use that during recording anyway.
HTH
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio