Azden FMX-32 mixer ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 18th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Azden FMX-32 mixer ?

Does anyone have experience with the Azden FMX-32 3-channel mixer that they would like to share?

Details are here
http://www.azdencorp.com/shop/custom...roductid=93718

It has all the features I am looking for but I know that some of Azden's low end stuff is pretty poor. At $450 list I'm not sure if this is really a professional device or something I should take a pass on.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think your concerns are warranted. Go directly to a Sound Devices 302, never look back. Enjoy the audio.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Bill,
I have to agree with Ty, spend the extra $$ and get the SD-302! It sounds amazing and is a well-respected piece of equipment in the pro world. I used to own Azden equipment, and was never able to get a pro-paying gig with it. When I got the 302 mixer and Sennheiser gear, I got work right away and paid for it after just two gigs. Best of luck!
Old April 19th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the input. I'm sure the SD-302 is great.

The thing is that I have an even coming up with an equipment budget of $400--use it or loose it. I could use a mixer for the event but I could get by without.

So I was looking for someone with experience with the FMX-32 to give me some feedback on it. I can buy the Azden or spend then money on a microphone or lights or something else I technically dont need but want :)

I guess I could put the Azden up on ebay later if it is a dud.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #5

You could also buy used something or other. If you just need to spend 400.00 on anything audio, why not get something that will last? It's Azden...Kinda like saying "It's a Volvo" but the opposite meaning. Maybe a carbon boom? Better wireless? Headphone monitoring system? Hypercardioid mic?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I agree with Doug. There's no rational reason to buy crap just beause you have money to spend.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

And if you can't afford to buy the 302 just yet and need a mixer for this shoot, RENT a 302, 442, or equivalent mixer for the shoot, expense the rental, and spend the $400 on a piece of quality equipment that will serve you well. (And if you ask nice, you might find someplace that will rent the 302 and give you partial credit for the rental if you eventually buy one from them. Never hurts to ask!)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio