A decent Mic for the Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 27th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A decent Mic for the Z1

Can anyone help me with choosing a DECENT professional microphone to go onto my Z1?

I understand I may have to buy the bracket to be able to have a shot gun mic, but that is ok.

If anyone has a micrphone that they have used, feedback with pros and cons would be very useful in helping me decide....
Antony Quintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Lots of choices

Antony,
I use a Sennheiser MK66. It works very well on the Z1, but I have learned to use the mic trim in the menu, which helps a great deal. This mic has very good pickup, and it does cut side noise. You will probably get a lot of good answers on this one. How do you pla to use the camera and mic?
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Lots of choices

Antony,
I use a Sennheiser MK66 shotgun. It works very well on the Z1, but I have learned to use the mic trim in the menu, which helps a great deal. This mic has very good pickup, and it does cut side noise. You will probably get a lot of good answers on this one. How do you plan to use the camera and mic?
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #4
Tourist

Lots of Choices

Antony,

I shoot with the Z1 and I've been considering a Rode shotgun NTG-1 (and another model the NTG2 I think). the Z1 can supply phantom power for the NTG1 and I think there's a model with a battery option also.

I think this mic is shorter and lighter than the 66 (also a very nice mic) and the Rode mic is a little less expensive. A couple months back I read some good things about these mics, so they might be an option for you also.

-Dennis

(I've spent lots of 'selfish' time reading these forums, so I thought better start posting more often!)
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Sponsor: VASST

I use an AT897 for outdoor use or an AT4053a for indoor use with my Z1 and I’m very happy with them. If you could only afford one, I’d get the AT897 because it’s a short shotgun and can be used for indoors as well as outdoors.

~jr
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Another vote for the AT897. I'm very pleased with it. My next purchase will be an AT4073. I just got back from NAB and saw it demonstrated there.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have been using the Azden SGM-2X.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I bought it because I wasn't sure what I needed in a microphone, and this mic is extremely versatile. It can be used with a boom, on camera, by hand and as a shotgun or an all direction pick up mic. I've had no problems, and the sound quality has always been pleasing.
Mike Toledano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:30 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I use a AT4073A and love it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=68317&is=REG
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

hey

Thank you ppl for your comments.

Looking at my budget and other issues...I think I am going to get the Rode shotgun NTG-2.

:)
Antony Quintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:12 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I'm using an AT4051a on my camera as I need a slightly wider pickup pattern for the type of shooting I do.

Very good sensitivity and tone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio