A1U Mic question... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 7th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Well I orderd the ME-64 mic and windscreen (just in case).
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stowe
I would say I will be 70% outdoor use so I would need a windscreen. I would love to have both mic's but just not in my budget right now since I need some other items as well..
Mike - you'll definitely need a windscreen outdoors. ME64 is a very hot mic and you'll be getting quite a bit of windnoise i would think even in a fairly light wind.
Laurence has one of the Lightwave windshields that he uses with ME64.

Indoors you definitely don't want the windshield attached. No wind ! Windshield will reduce (a little bit, though not much) the high frequencies.
So the general rule is to only use the wind-protection that you need at the time.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
Mike - you'll definitely need a windscreen outdoors. ME64 is a very hot mic and you'll be getting quite a bit of windnoise i would think even in a fairly light wind.
Laurence has one of the Lightwave windshields that he uses with ME64.

Indoors you definitely don't want the windshield attached. No wind ! Windshield will reduce (a little bit, though not much) the high frequencies.
So the general rule is to only use the wind-protection that you need at the time.
Thanks. I ordered the windscreen as well. I see your point about removing it indoors. Will do that.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #19
Trustee

Michael
The ME 64 is a very hot mike compared to the Sony. It's not usually an issue at normal tone of voice levels, but at high sound levels ( recording a live, loud rock band, etc.) I use attenuation to avoid clipping.
RE my earlier post, the ME 64 is several inches longer than the Sony mike, but it's not really an issue. I was being a bit wry, not about the ME64 being big, but rather the A1 being so amazingly small.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young
Michael
The ME 64 is a very hot mike compared to the Sony. It's not usually an issue at normal tone of voice levels, but at high sound levels ( recording a live, loud rock band, etc.) I use attenuation to avoid clipping.
RE my earlier post, the ME 64 is several inches longer than the Sony mike, but it's not really an issue. I was being a bit wry, not about the ME64 being big, but rather the A1 being so amazingly small.

The ME-64 arrived today and all I can say is wow. Definately hotter than the Sony. I am very impressed. I will have to read up on attenuation and the A1. Any suggestions/hints would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #21
Major Player

Take a look at this thread Michael:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=67089

Generally i think a 10db or 20db attenuator cable inserted between cam and mic will be best solution. There's a link in the above thread to a 20db cable - they're pretty inexpensive and should bring the level down nicely.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio