lav selection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 8th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #1
Tourist

lav selection

Hi. I'm new to this forum and have what should be a fairly simple question. I am starting a new piece of my current business that will require me to video tape a client doing an exterior walk and talk. I am using a Canon XL1 with an Audio Technica ATW-T101x transmitter and receiver. I still have to purchase a lav microphone and am wondering what is recommended.

I can't seem to find any information that will help me decide what unit to purchase since I can't take any of them out for a test drive. My question is this, will my project benefit from spending the extra money for a Countryman EMW or will the more inexpensive Audio Techiniace TA831 (or similar) achieve the same results? Are there obvious audio differences between the two? Is there a unit available that I should consider? (ex. Lectrosonics M140?)

Thanks for any assistance in this manner.

Last edited by Dukaos Noslif; May 8th, 2006 at 03:12 PM.
Dukaos Noslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Major Player

I've had good results with Lectrosonics M150 (and the more recent M152). For low-cost lavs, they sound really good, and they have held up remarkably well considering that I give them all the difficult and dangerous jobs where I don't want to risk a more expensive mic.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for the response Ralph. I found a used M140 and am going with that. The unit will have limited used and I can always upgrade later if the need arises.
Dukaos Noslif is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio