Rode Videomic or Rode NTG-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 8th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Rode Videomic or Rode NTG-1

I'm preparing for my first wedding with my FX-1 and I am planning on adding a mic to my equipment. I was leaning towards the Rode Videomic because of its price, mini-plug hook-up, and because it had received plenty of positive remarks on this forum. After running a few more searches, I found enough negative comments about the Rode Videomic that I felt that the Rode NTG-1 might be the better decision. However, I'm not quite ready to purchase a Beachtek (DXA-6 is the model I need, I believe).

I would like to know if the Rode NTG-1 can be hooked up via mini-plug, or does it have to connect via XLR inputs? If it needs XLR inputs, then I have to decide if I want to spend $500 for the NTG-1 and Beachtek adapter, or spend $150 for the Rode Videomic (which to me, is a tough decision).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a budget wireless system (I haven't ruled this out since most comments I've read seem to emphasize wireless as the way to go)? I'm assuming most any wireless system would also require a Beachtek adapter.
Chad Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #2
Fred Retread

The excellent Sennheiser G2 wireless system is $500. The compact receiver can mount to your accessory shoe and it can plug directly into the cam's mic jack.

But that monopolizes the mic jack. I would hope that you'd have some other mic and audio recording going on for both ambience and backup.
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for your reply, Fred. Right now my only option for ambience pick-up is my 1-chip back-up camera.
Regarding the Sennheiser G2 wireless system, could you send me a link on BHphoto.com for this product? I searched the site for 'Sennheiser G2', but there were plenty of results and I wasn't certain which product you were recommending.

If I do end up purchasing a wireless system such as the G2, it seems as if I'll still need a Beachtek, and another mic, or else I wouldn't be able to pick up the ambient sound...am I understanding this correctly?

My first wedding with my FX1 is no-editing and straight to dvd, so my budget is still pretty low. My second wedding is for a family friend, with no money coming in. I'd like these two weddings to create a great portfolio base, and the missing link seems to be audio. I'm just not quite ready to spend another $500-$1000 and I was hoping to find some cheaper options for now (which led me to the Rode Videomic and Rode NTG-1). I'm certainly not ruling any options out, though, and I appreciate your suggestions.
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Martin
Thanks for your reply, Fred. Right now my only option for ambience pick-up is my 1-chip back-up camera.
Regarding the Sennheiser G2 wireless system, could you send me a link on BHphoto.com for this product? I searched the site for 'Sennheiser G2', but there were plenty of results and I wasn't certain which product you were recommending.

If I do end up purchasing a wireless system such as the G2, it seems as if I'll still need a Beachtek, and another mic, or else I wouldn't be able to pick up the ambient sound...am I understanding this correctly?

My first wedding with my FX1 is no-editing and straight to dvd, so my budget is still pretty low. My second wedding is for a family friend, with no money coming in. I'd like these two weddings to create a great portfolio base, and the missing link seems to be audio. I'm just not quite ready to spend another $500-$1000 and I was hoping to find some cheaper options for now (which led me to the Rode Videomic and Rode NTG-1). I'm certainly not ruling any options out, though, and I appreciate your suggestions.
The Rode NTG-1 requires phantom power, therefore you must go with an adapter like the Beachtek if you're using it with an FX-1. BTW there is a new Beachtek unit, the DXA-FX, that is designed specfically to mate with the FX1. The Rode NTG-2 is the same mic in a dual-power version that has an internal battery so you can use it with cameras or recorders that do not supply phantom power. With the Beach you could feed the wireless receiver through one channel and an on-camera ambience mic into the other.

I'd chime with a second on Fred's suggestion to go wireless. No matter what shotgun mic you use, a mic mounted on the camera is just not going to pickup quality sound from the wedding party - it's simply too far away to work well. The reason B&H lists so many G2s is because they are in a number of different frequency bands - the one to pick depends on what else (TV stations, dispatch operations, etc) is operating in the same range in your geographic area. The Sennheiser wb site has a frequency finder that can be a start but it's not really up to date and a visit to a local brick & mortar dealer can help advise you on what people's experiences are in your area.
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #5
Major Player

With the mic mounted on or near the camcorder so the cable isn't long, the RODE Videomic and NTG-1/2 sound a lot alike. Basically, it is the same mic element in different housings. Also, the VM comes with everything you need to mount and use it whereas you'll have to buy a shock mount and cable for the NTG-1/2. If you decide to use a shotgun, I'd opt for the VM.

However, I agree with Fred and Steve. For best audio of the officiant and vows, you need to have a mic on the groom, best man or officiant. A wireless is ideal for this and the Senn G2 is a great setup. If that proves to be too expensive for you, check out the Audio Technica AT88W. For less than $120, it is a decent VHF wireless mic. Not as versatile as the G2 but it will work if you aren't in a heavy EMF area.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #6
New Boot

Steve, thanks for the heads-up on the Beachtek for the FX1. If I go with the Beachtek (which it's looking like I will), I'll get the DXA-FX.

I was worried about interference with the wireless, so I'll have to do more web research to see which frequency is best for Indy.

Guy, thanks for the recommendation on the budget wireless system. The AT88W is in more of my price range, but I usually have the "get what you pay for" philosophy, so I may have to bite the bullet and buy the Senn G2.

One last question: if I go with the Beachtek DXA-FX, a wireless system, add a bracket mount to hold the wireless receiver and an additional mic, is a shotgun recommended as the 2nd mic for the ambient pick-up?
Old August 30th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Re: Rode Videomic or Rode NTG-1

Wind shields tests:
Jarda Bar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio