Rode Video Mic in Stereo???? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 14th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Rode Video Mic in Stereo????

I recorded some video with my Panasonic GS400 and a Rode Videomic attatched and turned on. I listened thru headphones to ensure the sound was being recorded too. I then downloaded the video into my brand new Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 NLE sofware. When I look at the "clip info" for each clip recorded above...it says that the sound is in "stereo" and not mono. How could this be??
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't think it's true stereo, it's the same audio on both channels
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Major Player

yes the Rode Videomic is wired so it delivers the mono soundtrack to BOTH channels. So it's the same signal for both channels, therefore not true stereo. But it's quite a nice thing if you're listening/reviewing/watching the tape before any editing as you get sound out of both earpieces (for headphones) or both speakers (for twin-speaker TV). I think that's good attention to detail by Rode, thinking about the target market.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the responses. So there is nothing wrong with my software? It has been fooled into thinking this "double channeled mono audio" is a stereo recording? This is good.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Just one caution if you're using a cable adapter to plug the Rode mic into an XLR input. The Rode connects the tip to the ring to send the mono signal to both channels. In an unbalanced to balanced adapter that takes a TS or TRS miniplug and adapts it to an XLR input, the ring is connected to the sleeve. That means if you plug the Rode mic into, say, a Canon XL2's XLR input using a conventional adapter, the tip, ring, and sleeve are all shorted together and grounded with a result of no sound.
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #6
DVCreators.Net

The new RODE SVM (Stereo VideoMic) is becoming a reality. It's taking on a slightly different design and will now include a -10dB pad switch. Here's the preliminary photo http://www.dvcreators.net/rode-svm-stereo-videomic/
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Guy,

Will the SVM fit better on the FX-1? My Videomic is about a 1/4 inch too far back and interferes with the LCD panel opening/closing. I have to fiddle with it a bit to mount it 3/4ths the way onto the show to avoid this problem...

--Darin
Darin Boville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #8
DVCreators.Net

I haven't got my hands on one yet, but judging from the photo the SVM sits higher. For now you can pick up a Rycote hot shoe extender to push it out of the way. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio