What do I need to use a AKG C391B on the FX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 17th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #1
Trustee

What do I need to use a AKG C391B on the FX1?

Hi,

I might have an AKG C391B at my disposal to shoot a documentary and I'd like to know what to I need to use it with my FX1? The FX1 doesn't have XLR so I'll need an adapter. Would this be enough

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Or do I absolutely need an adapter with phantom power? In this case, which would be the least expensive adapter with phantom power? I will use the mic I mentioned now, but in the future I plan on buying a Rode NTG-2 (which I think can bypass the phantom power with batteries).
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Raf

Depends if your mic definitely needs phantom power, in which case the FX1 won't provide it... however if it contains a battrery like many mid range shotgun mics.. you'll be ok with your simple cable...

Otherwise you'll require a beachtek or mix pre-amp providing phantom power... there are a number on the market...

the NTG2 however will work fine with your camera as it does have a battery...

I think in the long run you won't regret having a beachtek, as you'll find it useful... I had one on my FX1 until it got stolen...I've now got a Z1 which does have phantom power...

regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
Hi,

I might have an AKG C391B at my disposal to shoot a documentary and I'd like to know what to I need to use it with my FX1? The FX1 doesn't have XLR so I'll need an adapter. Would this be enough

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Or do I absolutely need an adapter with phantom power? In this case, which would be the least expensive adapter with phantom power? I will use the mic I mentioned now, but in the future I plan on buying a Rode NTG-2 (which I think can bypass the phantom power with batteries).

You absolutely need phantom with that mic and that adapter will not work. Beachtek makes an XLR adapter - the DXA-FX - specifically for the FX1 that supplies phantom and that would be a good choice. Or get something like the Sound Devices MixPre.

http://beachtek.com/dxafx.html
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #4
Kino-Eye

Steve House suggests, "get something like the Sound Devices MixPre," very good advice, and not only does a good mixer come in handy for powering mics that require phantom power, it's also gives you more freedom to monitor and control levels away from the camera. And when you're working with a separate camera and sound person, a mixer is critical as it allows one person to focus on sound and the other to focus on camera. I own a Sound Devices 302 that I use for both documentary shooting and podcast interviews and I'm very pleased with it. And when it comes to buying mics, better to get one that is "all mic for the money" rather than one that is "power supply and mic" because designers have to make trade-offs, so why pay for all those power supplies when a mixer or Beachtek adapter can provide the phantom power?
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
You absolutely need phantom with that mic and that adapter will not work. Beachtek makes an XLR adapter - the DXA-FX - specifically for the FX1 that supplies phantom and that would be a good choice. Or get something like the Sound Devices MixPre.

http://beachtek.com/dxafx.html
The adapter you just spoke about does not provide phantom power (at least according to the website). I think the least expensive option I've seen so far is the dxa-6 and the dxa-10.
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #6
Trustee

What do you guys think about the NTG2 though?
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Check out the Mic shoot out at the bottom of this page...
http://dvestore.com/theatre/index.html#
very useful..

cheers
G
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
The adapter you just spoke about does not provide phantom power (at least according to the website). I think the least expensive option I've seen so far is the dxa-6 and the dxa-10.
I could have sworn it did but you're right, on double checking it doesn't. Sorry, my bad.
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
What do you guys think about the NTG2 though?
The NTG-1 and -2 are both well regarded. They're the same mic with the -1 requiring phantom and the -2 operating off of your choice of phantom or internal battery.

I'm not sure I'd go with a shotgun as my first external mic however. Shotguns are really fairly specialized tools and limited in their application. A good hypercardioid like an AT4053a or the AKG C393 along with a boom, shock mount, and windscreen has wider application and would be my choice for your first additional mic
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #10
Trustee

Thanks for the tips, guys!
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #11
Trustee

BTW, I found a fairly priced Audio-Technica AT835B. I read somewhere these were the mics that were used in the olimpics in australia. Do you guys know if it's any good?
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #12
Major Player

Here you go, I use this with the same microphone you've got:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Works like a charm, just add the XLR-->Mini cable and you're good to go.

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins
Check out the Mic shoot out at the bottom of this page...
http://dvestore.com/theatre/index.html#
very useful..

cheers
G
I checked the shoot out and found out that the RODE NT3-HYPER CARDIOID seems to have way less noise than the 2 other mics I was planning to buy (AUDIO TECHNICA AT897 and RODE NTG-2). I know zero about sound and mics (only what I hear), so I'd like to know if this would be a good option for run-and-gun documentaries where I don't have much time to prepare? Also, I look at this mic and it looks more like a studio mic than a on-camera mic. Can it be mounted on a camera?? I'm sorry if my questions are too basic, but that is exactly the reason why I'm here looking for help.
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
I checked the shoot out and found out that the RODE NT3-HYPER CARDIOID seems to have way less noise than the 2 other mics I was planning to buy (AUDIO TECHNICA AT897 and RODE NTG-2). I know zero about sound and mics (only what I hear), so I'd like to know if this would be a good option for run-and-gun documentaries where I don't have much time to prepare? Also, I look at this mic and it looks more like a studio mic than a on-camera mic. Can it be mounted on a camera?? I'm sorry if my questions are too basic, but that is exactly the reason why I'm here looking for help.
It's a bit too heavy and bulky to easily mount on the camera IMHO. What's important about the Rode is that it's a hypercardioid being compared to shotguns and the difference when recording indoors between those two mic types is what I think you're noticing. There are other hypers that are perhaps more suited to field use - the AT4053a and AKG C393K come immediately to mind and they are both sized to easily fit on the end of a boom or into a shockmount on the camera.

Keep in mind that no mic at any price is going to sound good for anything other than general ambient sound when mounted on the camera except in very rare circumstances. Mics - ALL mics - need to be quite close to the subject to pick up high quality dialog - 12 to 24 inches is common. Almost never will the place you put the camera to get good pictures be the right place to put the microphone to get good quality sound if you're recording speech.
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
It's a bit too heavy and bulky to easily mount on the camera IMHO. What's important about the Rode is that it's a hypercardioid being compared to shotguns and the difference when recording indoors between those two mic types is what I think you're noticing. There are other hypers that are perhaps more suited to field use - the AT4053a and AKG C393K come immediately to mind and they are both sized to easily fit on the end of a boom or into a shockmount on the camera.

Keep in mind that no mic at any price is going to sound good for anything other than general ambient sound when mounted on the camera except in very rare circumstances. Mics - ALL mics - need to be quite close to the subject to pick up high quality dialog - 12 to 24 inches is common. Almost never will the place you put the camera to get good pictures be the right place to put the microphone to get good quality sound if you're recording speech.
I totaly understand what you are saying. The best mic in the world will be worthless in the wrong hand, in the wrong conditions. But let me paint you the following scenario: Imagine you are in the desert with a Sony FX1, the conditions are far from ideal, you do not have a mixer, a pre-amp or phantom power. All you have is a mic that you can plug into the FX1 (any mic will be better than the FX1s' original mic). Which mic should I go for in this exagerated situation without having to spend more than 300US$? Have it in mind that it'll be used to capture speach.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio