Videomike on FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 20th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #1
New Boot

Videomike on FX1

Hi all. I have finally got my new FX1 and veryy happy with it.
I bought a Rode Videomike to go with it but I am a little confused with setting it up.
The Rode manual says it outputs Line level but when I set the cameras input to line I get no or little sound. When I change it to ext mic it comes through, but only on the right channel at proper levels and on the left channel at the same level as for the line level....Anyone understand this and able to tell me whats wrong.

Thanks
Brett Schofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:35 AM   #2
Major Player

someone out there must own a Rode Video Mic?
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It outputs mic level. Check the plug if the left and right channel won't line up. Chances are you didn't push it deep enough.
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Also, (i'm not too familiar with FX1), but if there's a facility to independently change the levels of left and right channel, i'd check that too.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use the rode video mic, When I got it I plugged it into the jack on the camera and changed it to ext mic it worked perfectly. Just make sure you use auto for some reason every sony aside from the f900 etc.. when they come in contact with forgein audio masacure it completely
Mack Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:59 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the ideas guys. I does work fine on ext mike setting, but when I use the data screen to check Ch1 and Ch2 (L/R) only the right channel (2) has normal audio. The Left channel is VERY low and only registers sound when I tap the mic....
I have double checked the connection and it is plugged in properly and all the way in....has anyone heard of this situation at all?

Thanks again
Brett
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:26 AM   #7
Major Player

I did some reading, and since I live in Australia, I'll se if I can give the Rode people a call.

But for now, what I've found out is that the Mic is Mono. So you'll have to somehow split the sound in post. I'll post again after I get off the phone with Rode... Unless someone gets there before me...
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Pepingco
I did some reading, and since I live in Australia, I'll se if I can give the Rode people a call.

But for now, what I've found out is that the Mic is Mono. So you'll have to somehow split the sound in post. I'll post again after I get off the phone with Rode... Unless someone gets there before me...
I have a Rode Videomic on my FX1. The sound is indeed in mono but the mic splits it and uses a stereo pin--you get the same mono track on both both of the Sony's stereo channels. Nice.

I've never had a problem with the two channels being at different levels. Yours sounds defective. Can you return it?

By the way, I do not believe there is any facility on the FX1 to adjust audio channels independently of one another--it is either auto or manual with a single adjustement wheel. No way to bias it in the menus either.

--Darin
Darin Boville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:36 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I too have the Rode mic. I had problems at first with nothing going to the FX1. But after stretching the cord out a little it now works just fine. I think that the cord pulls on the jack in the FX1 if there is not enough slack. You might try stretching it a little to make sure that it is not pulling on the jack and see if this solves the problem. Yes the manual says line but it is mic level!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #10
New Boot

Thanks guys, I will give this a go...I suppose its not all that bad only being on the right track though at least there is some audio there.....
Thanks
Brett
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #11
New Boot

Well i figured out what the problem was....I opened the microphone up only to discover the worst manufacturing I have seen from a well known reputable company I have seen in a long time.....

Inside there are 3 wires from the cable that are soldered to the main PC board.
The stranded earth wire, a Red and a White insulated wires.
The white one was half melted from the sodering iron being to close at installation. The Red has broken off because they did not strip back enough of the insualtion and did not tin the wires first. And the Earth wire almost looked corroded and in a really bad way. So I have since fixed it by chopping it all off and starting again and all works perfectly fine now!!!

Hope this helps others with a similar problem!!

Brett
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #12
Major Player

I hope that hasnt killed your warranty.... it may be 200 bucks, but its a good 200...

Still, good on ya. And good luck mate.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #13
New Boot

Dont really care that much about the warranty......The things fixed now and to tell you the truth, I did a better job fixing the thing than they did making it!!!

Thanks for the help though - all of you.

Brett
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Pepingco
I hope that hasnt killed your warranty.... it may be 200 bucks, but its a good 200...

Still, good on ya. And good luck mate.
PS - I got it for $130 when I bought the FX1!!!
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:40 AM   #15
New Boot

Videomic not xlr

question, and it may sound extremely silly as I'm just now understanding the importance of having good audio but:

Am I correct in my assumption from what I've read so far that the Videomic is not xlr based - but in fact would work on the FX1 with no additional equipment?

Again, excuse the naiveté of this, but I just realized for this documentary of concert footage, that I'll need something better than the stock mic - correct? And the videomic seems to be the most viable option for my budget being I currently don't have the funds for both xlr + mic...
Randy Chisolm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio