Sennheiser ME66 Accessories at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 11th, 2003, 12:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Sennheiser ME66 Accessories

Recently I purchased a Sennheiser ME66/K6 microphone set and I'm about to purchase a boompole as well. Could anyone recommend a shockmount and appropriate protection for 1) interior shooting, and 2) exterior, high wind situations. The budget isn't so important now, just doing research.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2003, 01:28 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Sennheiser makes a very good pistol grip/shock mount. You can also get good, generally lower-priced, shock mounts made my Audio-Technica.

Rycote makes the best wind screens for mics. Lightwave Systems also makes good screens. See this thread for more info on this topic.

Interior recording generally requires only a good shock mount, although it's always a good idea to keep some type of windscreen on the mic to protect from bump damage.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2003, 01:30 AM   #3
Wrangler

Also see
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=4638

Ken, this seems like a question you answer a lot... one for the ol' FAQ...?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2003, 01:35 AM   #4

Yup, I'd sure say so Robert!

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old February 16th, 2003, 08:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the info! I think I'll go ahead and try out the Rycote Softie, B&H catalog number RYS18M (I believe this is the right product at www.bhphoto.com). Do I need a shockmount still if I am going with the Rycote? I was thinking of getting one but from your description of the Rycote in the other threads it sounds like it's suspended somehow already, is this correct? I wouldn't mind buying a seperate shockmount if needed.
Old February 16th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #6

Yes, you will need the 18cm Softie for an ME-66. Yes, you will still need a shock mount, as the Softie does not provide that function.

Old February 26th, 2003, 01:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Ken, I plan on purchasing a Lightwave GT-10 boompole with the internal cable. Is there such a thing as a shockmount that's incompatible with certain boompoles? Not sure which shockmount to purchase...
Old February 26th, 2003, 01:57 AM   #8

The 3/8 inch threaded fitting at the business-end of the pole is pretty standard and should mate with most mounts you'll find. The pistols will generally have a 3/8 inch socket at the bottom of the handle. The non-pistols will generally feature the socket at the bottom of a U-type mount. Some may be supplied with adapters if needed.

Failing that, there's always grip tape. <g>

Old March 2nd, 2003, 06:52 AM   #9
Major Player

Sorry to bring this up again, Ken, but I was just gonna go with something like the AT8415 universal shockmount. But it isn't clear to me whether that will fit the Rycote Softie, or do you have to get a pistol shockmount?
Old March 2nd, 2003, 10:45 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Will work fine

The Softie/ME-66 combo will work just fine with the AT8415. That's the same setup I have. You will probably need an adapter to use it on a boom pole. They also make a real cool shoe mount adapter if you ever want to mount it on your camera.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 01:13 PM   #11

Yup, Marco's correct. Since the Softie only covers the business end of the mic the shockmount is unobstructed.

Old March 2nd, 2003, 06:59 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks for the help, guys. What kind of adapter will I need if the AT8415 will not connect directly to the Lightwave GT-10 boompole?
Old March 2nd, 2003, 08:29 PM   #13
Inner Circle

My Gitzo G557 boompole has a 1/4" to 3/8" reversible mounting screw. The AT8415 is larger than that, I'm unsure of the measurement. When I bought the pole the guy at B&H told me I needed the adapter and he added it to the purchase. It's no big deal -- it's just a tiny metal piece. I think I paid a dollar for it. You should check with whoever is selling you the lightwave pole. Any credible dealer should be able to tell you instantly what you need to mount the shockmount, or I wouldn't deal with a company like that.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:37 AM   #14
Major Player

softie

The softies with the larger holes will fit on mics with smaller diameters, because the plastic structure inside is a force fit on the shaft.

One thing I've read about the ME66 is that a mild wind noise will be picked up at the K6 phantom / battery power switch. So wrap a piece of tape over that area when you are using the softie and you might be more happy with the results.

I noticed the problem with mine and found that solution somewhere. You can get the India blimp for not much more that the softie. I might let mine go, it's all used once because I bought more expensive gear.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM   #15
Major Player

Oooo, a 6 year old thread resurrected.

The Rycote S-series is not much more than a Softie and is by far the better choice for the K6/ME66 (unless it's for on-camera use).

This was not available 6 years ago when this thread was started.

In windy conditions it *is* worth putting tape over the switch holes - and this is true of all mics that have switches in the body.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio