DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Video Expo/Seminar Findings... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/68970-video-expo-seminar-findings.html)

Chris Hocking June 6th, 2006 06:59 AM

Video Expo/Seminar Findings...

Today I went to an video expo/seminar, and just thought I'd bring up some of the points a highly experienced field audio guru said:

* He uses a "Sennheiser MKH 50" for most of his work; indoors and out. He claims that it's a fantastic all-round microphone. He suggests it's a 416 replacement. Having never used a MKH 50, I'm not sure, but this seems a little far-fetched. Your thoughts?

* I can't remember what brand he uses (something in the AUD$7000 range), but he suggests that products such as the "Sound Devices 302" (which are in the AUD$2000 range) are too low end for professional use; meaning the sound quality is not acceptable for, I guess, Hollywood scale productions. From what I've read the 302 is a fantastic product and a lot of people are using it for quite major projects. Your thoughts?

* He claimed the XLR outputs on a Sony Z1P do not provide a full 48 volts of phantom power, resulting in poor audio quality from the microphones. Personally, I have never experienced this and have always preferred to use the phantom from the camera as opposed to using batteries in my NT3, for example. Is this true? Should I use batteries instead of relying on the Z1Ps phantom?

Most of what the guy said was on par with what I've read on this forum, in books, etc. I just want to clarify some of the points (listed above) that made me scratch my head.

Thanks in advance! ~ Chris!

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 6th, 2006 07:11 AM

Sounds like a lot of personal opinion was interjected, which is fine, so long as it's stated as such.
I've seen the 302 used on quite a few sets; it's a great tool.
Personally, I'd disagree with the mic comments, but that's just me.
Regarding the Z1p, he's correct, and incorrect. For most mics, it doesn't matter.

Chris Hocking June 6th, 2006 07:17 AM

Yes, his comments were very much personal opinions as he clearly stated.

Thanks for your reply Douglas!

Chris Hocking June 12th, 2006 10:17 PM

Just to clear things up, which allows the microphone to work at its best:

- Using Phantom Power

OR

- Using a battery (if it has the ability)

ON

- Consumer Video Cameras?
- Prosumer Video Cameras?
- Professional Video Cameras?
- Prosumer Field Mixers?
- Professional Field Mixers?

Thanks! ~ Chris!

David Ennis June 13th, 2006 07:48 AM

Whatever input they're plugged into, you'll find that the specs on dual powered mics tend to show significantly better specs with 48V phantom than with a 9V battery. If the mic is plugged into a crappy preamp, or if the program material is noncritical, it doesn't matter, otherwise it may.

Chris Hocking June 13th, 2006 04:23 PM

Thanks Fred...

David Tamés June 13th, 2006 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
[...] he suggests that products such as the "Sound Devices 302" (which are in the AUD$2000 range) are too low end for professional use; meaning the sound quality is not acceptable for, I guess, Hollywood scale productions. From what I've read the 302 is a fantastic product and a lot of people are using it for quite major projects. Your thoughts? [...]

I'm really surprized he would go out of his way to say that.

As a counterpoint, G. John Garrett, C.A.S., a respected professional sound mixer I've worked with wrote in his review in DV Magazine of the Sound Devices 302 mixer that it "sounds and works great [...] The only mixers that come close to the 302 in fidelity and functionality cost over $3000 [...] a rugged, compact, feature-rich field mixer with superb sound and great flexibility [...]" and I can attest to that, as I own one and I listen to the results of using it all the time: the Sound Devices 302 mixer a professional mixer in terms of sonic qualities. You can track down the full review on the magazine's web site.