Video Expo/Seminar Findings... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 6th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Video Expo/Seminar Findings...

Today I went to an video expo/seminar, and just thought I'd bring up some of the points a highly experienced field audio guru said:

* He uses a "Sennheiser MKH 50" for most of his work; indoors and out. He claims that it's a fantastic all-round microphone. He suggests it's a 416 replacement. Having never used a MKH 50, I'm not sure, but this seems a little far-fetched. Your thoughts?

* I can't remember what brand he uses (something in the AUD$7000 range), but he suggests that products such as the "Sound Devices 302" (which are in the AUD$2000 range) are too low end for professional use; meaning the sound quality is not acceptable for, I guess, Hollywood scale productions. From what I've read the 302 is a fantastic product and a lot of people are using it for quite major projects. Your thoughts?

* He claimed the XLR outputs on a Sony Z1P do not provide a full 48 volts of phantom power, resulting in poor audio quality from the microphones. Personally, I have never experienced this and have always preferred to use the phantom from the camera as opposed to using batteries in my NT3, for example. Is this true? Should I use batteries instead of relying on the Z1Ps phantom?

Most of what the guy said was on par with what I've read on this forum, in books, etc. I just want to clarify some of the points (listed above) that made me scratch my head.

Thanks in advance! ~ Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #2

Sounds like a lot of personal opinion was interjected, which is fine, so long as it's stated as such.
I've seen the 302 used on quite a few sets; it's a great tool.
Personally, I'd disagree with the mic comments, but that's just me.
Regarding the Z1p, he's correct, and incorrect. For most mics, it doesn't matter.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, his comments were very much personal opinions as he clearly stated.

Thanks for your reply Douglas!
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Just to clear things up, which allows the microphone to work at its best:

- Using Phantom Power

OR

- Using a battery (if it has the ability)

ON

- Consumer Video Cameras?
- Prosumer Video Cameras?
- Professional Video Cameras?
- Prosumer Field Mixers?
- Professional Field Mixers?

Thanks! ~ Chris!
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #5
Fred Retread

Whatever input they're plugged into, you'll find that the specs on dual powered mics tend to show significantly better specs with 48V phantom than with a 9V battery. If the mic is plugged into a crappy preamp, or if the program material is noncritical, it doesn't matter, otherwise it may.
Old June 13th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Fred...
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #7
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
[...] he suggests that products such as the "Sound Devices 302" (which are in the AUD$2000 range) are too low end for professional use; meaning the sound quality is not acceptable for, I guess, Hollywood scale productions. From what I've read the 302 is a fantastic product and a lot of people are using it for quite major projects. Your thoughts? [...]
I'm really surprized he would go out of his way to say that.

As a counterpoint, G. John Garrett, C.A.S., a respected professional sound mixer I've worked with wrote in his review in DV Magazine of the Sound Devices 302 mixer that it "sounds and works great [...] The only mixers that come close to the 302 in fidelity and functionality cost over $3000 [...] a rugged, compact, feature-rich field mixer with superb sound and great flexibility [...]" and I can attest to that, as I own one and I listen to the results of using it all the time: the Sound Devices 302 mixer a professional mixer in terms of sonic qualities. You can track down the full review on the magazine's web site.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio