Canon XL2 Shotgun Setup??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 26th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon XL2 Shotgun Setup???

I've just picked up an AT-897 Shotgun Mic for my Canon XL2 and mounted it. I am trying to figure out the best audio setup.
With ATT off or on, Manual or Auto settings on audio...
What should I do with the Standard Canon Stereo Mic and it's setup....

Bottom Line:
What is the Best Setup for my Shotgun Mic, so I get good Dialogue volume with low static noise from the camera???

Thanks,
Zach

PS- I did a search on this...but nothing really comes ups.
Zach Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #2
Trustee

Zach,
I've been using an 897 for a year on my xl2 and I'm happy with it. I leave it on the left channel, and my wireles on the right channel. Set the channel selector to "channel 1"( I think...I'm not at the camera now). This keeps the 897 on one channel, and the wireless on the other (you can tweak each seperately in post)."Channel 1+2" mixes both together.
The mic att lowers the signal. Use it in a real loud situation. But try both ways. I always leave my audio setting to manual. Auto raises the background noise too much. Leave your canon mic in your bag, and use it if you ever want stereo ambience, music, etc.
have fun
Bruce S. yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Bruce....Do you use R-XLR Gainup in the Audio Options???
and what type of wireless system are you using?
Zach Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #4
Trustee

I use normal gain. My wireless is a Sennheiser g2. I paid the extra $100 and got the plug that adats any hand held mic into wireless. The whole kit is around $550. I got mine at bh.
Bruce yarock
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #5
Major Player

If you need to attenuate the incoming signal on your shotgun, use the Audio Technica 8202. This has a user selectable -10, -20 or -30db pad. I have Sennheisers and if I'm going straight into the camera, I often use the AT8202 at -10db. I sometimes cover the switch with paper tape so it won't get moved.

On all my video and audio ins and outs, I use short 12" pigtails and tie those to the body. That way any pulling is on the pigtail, not on the camera. On the DVX100 this can be bad as the video out is right on the circuitboard. When using the DVX I undue the velcro on the handgrip pad and slide the video out thru that so it doesn't torque the board. You might even loop it. Using pigtails for the video out, requires a barrel connector, but I haven't noticed any serious degradation to the signal. Plus I'm usually feeding the director's monitor, so it's fine.

Canon's onboard "ATT" switch brings the level down -20, or -30db, I forget which, but it's a little bit too much of a pad for most normal sound levels.

Hi Bruce!
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:26 AM   #6
Trustee

hey Mark,
Where do you get those 12" cables?
Bruce S. Yarock
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:08 AM   #7
Major Player

Bruce,

Good ole B&H for XLR and BNC pigtails. They're relatively cheap. I secure them with velcro, or tie line to the handle, or the metal bracket in the back.
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:28 AM   #8
Trustee

Thanks mark.
Bruce S. Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio