Couple of questions about the Schoeps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 1st, 2006, 05:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Couple of questions about the Schoeps

Hello, I recently talked with a sound guy about the MKH60 vs. the Schoeps CMC641 because I was surprise he was using the MKH60 instead of the schoeps although he owned both.

He told me he prefers to use the MKH60 because it is easier to use. Apparently the Schoeps is more sensitive to wind, so sensitive that you can pick some when you're moving/rotating the mic between two actors.

Do you have any comments on this statement? Is it really so sensitive that it could be a problem? When we talked about that we were shooting indoor stuff, so I was quite surprised that it could be a problem.

Also I was looking to buy both the CMIT and the CMC641 as well as a Rycote blimb system, but it's really confusing because of the diameter, the length... So I'm going to look stupid, but can someone tell me exactly (with bhphoto url if possible) what I need to buy if I want a system which will fit both the CMC641 and the CMIT (by using extensions for example)?

Thanks in advance for any helps.

Regards,
Quoc
Quoc Peyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Trustee

Everybody has preferences. Yes the Schoeps can hear windnoise from cueing even with a light foam windscreen. Do you put on the better windscreen to overcome the noise caused by movement with the Schoeps or use the MKH 60? My guess he is making the correct choice for his combination of Windscreens and mics. With the better Rycote for the Schoeps he might make a different choice. I am not sure there is a perfect match between Rycote and the two mics you asked about without some accessories for each mic being a little different. You should ask Rycote.com for info directly. They have been very helpful to me in the past
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 06:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

He told me he didn't want to put a windscreen on the Schoeps because then it will cut frequencies, so he preferred to use the MKH60 without anything.
But I'm a little bit surprised, does it mean that Schoeps' owners always put a windscreen on the mic even for indoor? Is it really _that_ bad/sensitive?

Quoc
Old July 3rd, 2006, 08:28 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You do have to be careful with the Schoeps, but I almost never use it with the foam wind screen (indoors) and have never had a problem. I also have the high pass filter engaged on the SD302. We did have a shoot last weekend where I asked the boom op to put the windscreen on because we were getting some rumble. It was an odd environment and there seemed to be a few air currents around that were affecting the mic. I can't remember the last time we had to do that. Outdoors, a Rycote softie is practically useless on a Schoeps by the way, at least it has been for us.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:20 AM   #5
Trustee

Most of my work is in documentaries or unrehearsed action so I almost always use at least a foam windscreen on my boom mics (I don't currently own a Schoeps but I used to) because I am usually in situations where I don't discover I need it until it is too late. I figure the hit on the frequencies is less than any rumble I create by moving the mic without one. Frankly the sound out of the Schoeps is usually wonderful with the windscreen. If I know it is hanging somewhere and won't move then I don't use a windscreen but anytime the mic is moving I err on the side of caution.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks. It is reassuring.
Marco, you says a Rycote softie is practically useless outdoor, but what about a blimb system? Is it better?

Quoc
Old July 3rd, 2006, 11:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm sure a blimp would be better, but I haven't used one. Most people seem to use the Rycote baby ball gag, but I don't have one of those either.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:19 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
a Rycote softie is practically useless on a Schoeps by the way, at least it has been for us.

What is the Rycote softie? A fur covering that
goes over the Schoeps foam cover?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM   #9
Trustee

A Rycote Softie is a furry windscreen which goes directly over the Mike and usually used with Rycote Donut mount and Pistol Grip. Very good for news and documentary, Not quite as effective as the Blimps for wind but very durable. They seem to work better with Shotgun style mics and there are a few companies making similar products.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 07:21 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Epstein
A Rycote Softie is a furry windscreen which goes directly over the Mike ...

So it's got its own foam? But there's not a hollow
airspace around the mic? One thing that's
nice about the Lightwave version of the softie
is that it has the hollow air space, like a blimp.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 07:32 PM   #11
Trustee

The Lightwave system is interesting also but I found it much less secure than the Rycote Softie. The Lightwave Cover I had only had one solid point of contact with the mic and didn't age very well. The Front of the mic wasn't secure on mine and it would wobble inside the cover. The Rycote softie has a special foam inside and furry outside and contact all along the mic so it tends to grip fairly well. The only problem is you need the correct diameter version for your mic or it becomes too loose or tight.
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #12
Inner Circle

The inside of the Softie is a little hard to describe. There's sort of a lattice work of soft plastic that essentially creates dead space. The fur is on top of that. I agree with Daniel that they work better for shotguns for some reason. They work great probably 90 percent of the time. It takes pretty strong wind before you'll get any rumble, and even then it's usually just on gusts. I've yet to lose any footage over it, but the new K-Tek blimp is so reasonably priced I'm looking at it pretty hard.
Old July 5th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey Marco, I just noticed the new K-tek blimp too. I wonder if anyone has the chance to try it out. Everyone seems to agree that Rycote is the way to go but as you pointed out, the K-tek price is tempting indeed.
Martin Taidy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio