Lapel mic question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 6th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #1
New Boot

Lapel mic question

Hi. I'm researching close mic options and I've seen some helpful threads. For those of you filming lots of weddings, I'm curious to know how much resistance you encounter from brides to conceal a transmitter or MD or iriver recorder or even a mic on their clothing. Where do you find is the most acceptable location to place these items? It would seem to me that grooms and celebrants would be more receptive than brides. Thanks.
Old July 9th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Funny you should ask, I had a "scene" with a photographer, at yesterdays' Wedding, over the Groom's lapel Mic, the Groom was ok with it, but the tog, said it would spoil his photos, the Groom had a light jacket on, so it was visible, but, what else can you do? You buy the gear to get decent sound, then you can't always use it. It's never happened to me before, but what do others do?
I ended up taking the mic off the groom, and telling him to speak up! It was only going to be on him for the ceremony.
Mike.
Michael Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cassidy
Funny you should ask, I had a "scene" with a photographer, at yesterdays' Wedding, over the Groom's lapel Mic, the Groom was ok with it, but the tog, said it would spoil his photos, the Groom had a light jacket on, so it was visible, but, what else can you do? You buy the gear to get decent sound, then you can't always use it. It's never happened to me before, but what do others do?
I ended up taking the mic off the groom, and telling him to speak up! It was only going to be on him for the ceremony.
Mike.
Why should the photog win? Your video isn't just as important as his pictures? OR viewed another way, having the mic visible doesn't prevent him from taking decent pictures but removing the mic does prevent you from shotting decent video.
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well said Steve, but the Bride was due and he was being loud, and saying he'd done hundreds of Weddings, and had never seen a Groom, with a mic on! I know, I know! but there was a Bride due! We're at a Church, so I backed down, I was really wanting you to say, just, what you've said.
I did explain the situation with the B&G later. To be honest I was "gobsmacked" by his attitute. What with Photoshop! He was shooting digital, after all!
Mike.
Michael Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Not sure what the size of the lapel mic was, but I use a Countryman B3 and it's easily hidden.

The bodypack, placed behind the groom under the jacket, would be invisible. And the lav can be rigged into the, extending out only just enough to stay clear of the clothing. Perhaps coming out just under a button.

And as for the photographer making a scene: that guy must be terribly insecure. That episode will probably be a black mark to his reputation if it made enough of an impression on the groom and guests.
Old July 9th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui
Not sure what the size of the lapel mic was, but I use a Countryman B3 and it's easily hidden.

The bodypack, placed behind the groom under the jacket, would be invisible. And the lav can be rigged into the, extending out only just enough to stay clear of the clothing. Perhaps coming out just under a button.

And as for the photographer making a scene: that guy must be terribly insecure. That episode will probably be a black mark to his reputation if it made enough of an impression on the groom and guests.
Ditto - and the B3 has replaceable caps so you can match the mic colour to the clothing making it all but invisible.
Old July 9th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #7
New Boot

Wow! No wonder hardly anyone mics the bride. Enough trouble with the groom. An incredibly unco-operative attitude. You're right, an unobtrusive lav mic is going to spoil his pics? Very surprising that he hasn't encountered a lav before. I can understand you not wanting to go toe to toe with him at the time though. Last thing the B & G need. Colored caps seem a good idea.
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

It was the Sennheiser G2, the transmitter was in the Groom's inside pocket, and the miniture Mic, was sticking out, clipped to his lapel, in the "usual way" it's black, of course, it's almost invisible with a dark jacket, but, I think with a light coloured jacket, it was more noticable than normal. When I've put the Mic on the inside, as in the past,you can get a "rustling" noise when they exchange the rings.
To be honest, with the tog, saying he'd never seen one at hundreds of weddings, I was starting to think, Is it me? But you've reaffirmed, my first thoughts, he was a "one off".

Mike.
Michael Cassidy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio