A wireless gem... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 7th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #1
Wrangler

A wireless gem...

Every once in awhile, you find a gem on the internet that could be very helpful. This one is and so I am going to make it a sticky for now.

Sennheiser has a page called 'Frequency Finder" that will show you the allocation of UHF channel frequencies in your area to assist with using their UHF wireless systems without interference. All the new DTV channel assignments are in the UHF TV channel spectrum and so are their wireless UHF mics so they pulled this information together to help their users.

Take a look...

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...inder-open.asp

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #2

Flip a quarter, it's about as useful (or useless).

Seriously, there is a lot of hype about channels, available bandwidth, etc from some of the wireless manufacturers, and the Sennheiser chart falls to a large extent, into that definition. If you want it as a sticky, that's fine, but caveat emptor.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle

Seriously, there is a lot of hype about channels, available bandwidth, etc from some of the wireless manufacturers, and the Sennheiser chart falls to a large extent, into that definition. If you want it as a sticky, that's fine, but caveat emptor.
I couldnt agree more,

I went off that chart when I bought my senns and I had nothing but problems from stations that were not included on the chart. I bought another pair about a month ago and chose a different freq set and they work alot better in my area even though the chart said otherwise.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #4
Major Player

My Shure wireless system came with a chart, but I have only glanced at it and have never taken it with me on a gig, When I set-up at a new location I look at the RF signal led display on my Shure Wireless. If any signal is present and my transmitter is off I start moving the group and channel until the LEDS are dark then I am OK. I made a mistake once and thought I could 'capture' a weak 1 led signal with my lav transmitter. It worked in test, but when the program started the competing signal muted my audio output. I hate that sinking feeling when the heads of the audience all turn around and look at the sound guy. Like SWA's, "Wanna get away?" Now I always make sure there is no signal present, not even a weak one
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #5
Wrangler

Caveat emptor always applies, and frequency charts aren't any guarantee of the useability (or not) of a particular frequency in a particular location. I gather that the newer frequency-hopping technology has reduced the concerns at least a bit -- if one freq is taken, there's usually (but not always) a bunch more nearby in the electromagnetic (EM) sprectrum that the device can sniff out. But, FWIW, I personally did find these charts to be a helpful guide when I was shopping for a lav:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=31301

And it does appear that Senn do periodically update the info, as most of what's on their charts is dated more recently than my lav purchase. EM pollution is a fact of life, so yes, caveat emptor.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle

Sorry DSE, I thought it was useful info. My bad. I'll unsticky it. Apparently from the replies, everyone else feels it is useless also.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio