Ambient Sound Mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 11th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Ambient Sound Mic?

My current set up is to use my AT935b mounted for interviews and such during receptions. What I would like to do is mount another mic for round sound. Because often when I turn away from the speakers etc, the sound difference is substantial.

Can I use any mic for this or does it have to be a Condenser? I'm a little out of touch with microphone techical data.

I have a Z1
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
My current set up is to use my AT935b mounted for interviews and such during receptions. What I would like to do is mount another mic for round sound. Because often when I turn away from the speakers etc, the sound difference is substantial.

Can I use any mic for this or does it have to be a Condenser? I'm a little out of touch with microphone techical data.

I have a Z1
You may be better served by an omnidirectional mic. It doesn't have to be condenser, and you may get some good dynamic type from AKG or Sennheiser that will serve you.

But be aware that most mics do change the sound slightly when you turn around due to several circumstances. To solve them you would have to hold the mic vertically above you, which would look a bit weird.

What you can do is use a lapel mic, which are usually omni types, and secure it on the top of your camera. That would do the job.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez

What you can do is use a lapel mic, which are usually omni types, and secure it on the top of your camera. That would do the job.

Nice idea. Yeah, if I point a mic to the ceiling, people, might wonder what I'm trying to get.
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Nice idea. Yeah, if I point a mic to the ceiling, people, might wonder what I'm trying to get.
Well, if you are on a church you can always say... God.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Carlos, I didn't technically know if you're run of the mill mics that are for general purposes would harm the Z1. I have actually two AT835's but wanted the whole round sound. Thanks for clearing that up.

And you comment about 'God' cracked me up.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio