Windows WAVE vs Mac WAVE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 23rd, 2006, 12:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Windows WAVE vs Mac WAVE

I'm having trouble getting some audio files off a Mac and onto a Windows PC.

I tried using the "Save As" function in Soundtrack Pro to export the audio as as "WAVE File". When bringing the file onto a Windows PC it doesn't open. It doesn't have a "WAV" extension either.

Then I tried exporting a song as a "Windows WAVE" out of Reason. It doesn't play on a Windows PC. But it does have a "WAV" file extension.

I'm pretty sure I can "bounce" the audio out of ProTools, but I would prefer to just be able to directly save a Windows compadible file out of Soundtrack Pro.

Any ideas?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:09 AM   #2
Tourist

The other option to try would be to use AIFF as your interchange format. (AIFF = Audio Interchange File Format) Because AIFF does not use a compression codec, it is completely compatible with both systems. Your PC system at the other end will probably want to convert it to a WAVE before working with it, but at least you will have the data across.

Cheers

Al
Alister Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 05:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
I'm having trouble getting some audio files off a Mac and onto a Windows PC.

I tried using the "Save As" function in Soundtrack Pro to export the audio as as "WAVE File". When bringing the file onto a Windows PC it doesn't open. It doesn't have a "WAV" extension either.

Try changing the filename to add the extension and see if that helps. What program on windows are you trying to open it in?
Old July 23rd, 2006, 06:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You say that you used the Save As command. That just saves the Soundtrack session. Did you try the Export command. Soundtrack uses aif files by default, and I can't find a way to change that. Soundtrack Pro may give you an option for wav files, but I don't know.

Have you tried to play the exported files from Reason on another PC. It may be a problem with that machine. Exporting wavs from Reason is a pretty simple affair. If the PC can't play those files then I doubt that files from ProTools are going to work either.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 08:03 AM   #5

you need to export, not Save As, like Chris mentioned.
Also, you can export as a .wav from Soundtrack, but I've yet to see any PC app that won't open an AIFF file either.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #6
Major Player

What OS is the PC running? I finally got an XP a couple months ago. Up until then, I had to manually type the extention to the file name on the Mac if wanted an older PC to read my adobe files.
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:03 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks everyone...
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio