Boom guy venturing into wireless (oh no) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 28th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #1
New Boot

Boom guy venturing into wireless (oh no)

I'm an independent film guy (read: lots of boom pole + shotgun experience, no wireless; lots of taped experience, no live-you-don't-get-retakes experience) doing a favor for a family member and shooting their wedding. First, I know this is a huge mistake and even offered to pay for someone who does weddings for a living, begged, and pleaded, to no avail. I'm stuck.

Thus, I'm planning my attack. My plan is to wirelessly mic the gregarious groom while he works the room and to use a wired mic in front of the minister for the actual ceremony, etc., among other setups.

I have read previous posts and want to confirm that the Sennheiser G2 lav/plug-in combo is the best bang for the buck in the ~$600 range. I also would be interesed to know if both the lav and plug-in can transmit simultaneously as previous posts had me a bit confused on this point.

If, however, for about $600 there is another option that permits two independent mics to transmit/receive with similar audio quality and range, I'd love to know your thoughts.

Thanks very much in advance.
Stuart Dawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #2
Major Player

I have the G2 100 package and it can only record one signal at a time. The G2 500 can do two at a time I think (go to the B&H website for specs on each). Either way I used mine on a documentary that I shot last year and it was flawless great natural sound and no breaks or strange noises. Here's the catch, before you start, go to the church or where ever the ceremony is going and check for interference on the channel you have selected. Listen for at least 15 min as they come and go sometimes. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does you're screwed. All in all, mine has never let me down and I love it. Just for reference I'm also a voice actor and use AKG414's in my recording studio with DBX project one processors so I have at least a reasonable ear for sound. Not the best at it, but pretty decent. Hope this helped or at least didn't confuse more.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #3
Major Player

BTW the G2 mic does not pick up very far so the bride will be very low if that is the mic you're thinking of for picking up the vows. Hide a shotgun on the stage and pick her up that way. FOR THE RECORD I DON'T DO WEDDINGS. I have just encounterd some of these issues while in the field doing interviews.
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #4
New Boot

Even for another no-weddings guy, good suggestions. I was planning on setting up one of my AT4071a's to pick up vows, but hadn't really thought about hiding it. Sounds like I'll be posting further questions to the Wedding section.

Invaluable info on the G2 Jerry, thanks. (Sort of a redundancy there for those who have military experience.)
Stuart Dawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #5
Major Player

It's been a LOOOONG while since I've been in a church, but If I remember they sometimes have a shotgun hanging from the ceiling to pick up the ministers. Maybe you could talk to the AV guy at the church and put one of your shotguns going the other way. Just a thought. I also have the transmitter pack for the G2 that plugs into the bottom of mics and have also had very good success booming my shotguns wireless. To give you an Idea of the range of these things. I put on a friend when he BASED something very tall (non-disclosure here for legal purpose) and could hear him very clearly for the entire ride.
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #6
New Boot

Turns out neither the 100 nor 500 series permits dual transmitter, single receiver. The 500 plug-in module provides phantom (pretty essential for those of us with shotguns), and the 500 receiver provides balanced output (which I'll risk for the short span to the camera verses the added cost). So I ordered a lav transmit/receive pair, and a combo lav+plug-in transmitters/receive pair (same block of channels, will tune to different channels).
Stuart Dawkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio