Which shot-gun mic is better for outside me66/mkh416 !! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 8th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Which shot-gun mic is better for outside me66/mkh416 !!

I am going to be working on a project that needs to use shot-gun mic to capture some action sounds ( like horses running ). and It will be recorded on either XL_H1 or on the Marantz PMD660.
Is the Sennheiser ME66 adequate for the job or the MKH416 is higher quality then the ME66 I know it is more money but is it worth it ?
Now it is also possibility that I might use the mic for some interview using a boom pole.
Any help will be grateful.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #2
DVCreators.Net

The 416 is definitely better. It's like AM vs FM radio in terms of clarity....the Sennheiser 416 captures detail so well that it is almost like being there!
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #3
New Boot

Are those your only choices?

I just helped on a 3-day shoot outdoors (documentary). We used a 416, AKG CK98, and a Sanken CS1. The AKG and Sanken were mounted on cameras, the 416 was on a boom.

First impressions from the recordings, based on individual taste, put the Sanken ahead, with the Sennheiser and AKG next, but very close and very hard to differentiate.

Since all three mics were not on the same exact type of recording device in the same exact conditions, I suppose any ranking or comparison would be rather meaningless. There were also three different guys monitoring and making adjustments on the recordings.

Outside, on this particular project, there was lots of ambient noise, (birds, cicadas [very loud], lots of wind in the trees, footsteps in rocks, etc.) making subtle differences between these three fine mics not very evident. At the time, I wondered if the extra money spent on good mics would make any difference on that particular shoot. Having three of the same kind would probably be best.

Indoors, it's a whole different game. (I like the Sanken and 416 best by a long ways).

My opinion: If my only choices were ME66 or 416, the 416 would be my choice without question. It would certainly be the best investment over the long haul.

Cheers,

MB
Mike Bement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you Mike for the info. My choices are not limited to just me66 or 416, I am open for any recommendation, I just have more info on these mics from the DV info then others. So any advice will be helpful.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio