Mixing line and mic source into a camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 13th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
If you need to actually mix a line level feed from a sound board with other mic level sources and send the resulting mix to your camera, you really need to be looking at an actual ENG/EFP field mixer rather than a simple XLR to miniplug attenuating adapter such as the Sign device you have. Shure, PSC, Wendt, Sound Devices are a few brands to consider at various price points. How many mics do you plan to have in use at a given time and is the feed from the soundboard mono or stereo? That'll determine how many channels you need to be looking at.
I want two channels
channel 1 whose source is a mic (next to the camera) for the audience applause/reaction.
channel 2 whose source is a line level from the sound booth for music/stage mic.

It seems that the XLR to miniplug attenuating adapter is designed to send line and mic levels to the camera. why else would it have separate line/mic switches for each source? this leads me to believe that the limitation resides in the camera not the XLR to miniplug attenuating adapter.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #17
Regular Crew

HI set the camera setting to mic, set the input from the board to line and then get a in line xlr pad to further reduce the signal, like the audio technic's link I gave you. You can reduce the level from the board, but the issue is that you will be so far down on the slider, that you will loose any real adjustment travel on the slider.

Sharyn
Sharyn Ferrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharyn Ferrick
HI set the camera setting to mic, set the input from the board to line and then get a in line xlr pad to further reduce the signal, like the audio technic's link I gave you. You can reduce the level from the board, but the issue is that you will be so far down on the slider, that you will loose any real adjustment travel on the slider.

Sharyn
I ordered one and then canceled the order when I found out my unit had built in attenuation. looks like i'll need to reorder it.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 04:12 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofran
I want two channels
channel 1 whose source is a mic (next to the camera) for the audience applause/reaction.
channel 2 whose source is a line level from the sound booth for music/stage mic.

It seems that the XLR to miniplug attenuating adapter is designed to send line and mic levels to the camera. why else would it have separate line/mic switches for each source? this leads me to believe that the limitation resides in the camera not the XLR to miniplug attenuating adapter.
It occurred to me to wonder if you were using manual or automatic audio recording levels in the camera?
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
It occurred to me to wonder if you were using manual or automatic audio recording levels in the camera?
manual audio levels
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio