far too basic wireless question.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 17th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Major Player

far too basic wireless question....

I'm looking into wireless systems....

I'm thinking I'd want 2 microphones, attached to 2 different people.

Do you buy one receiver, and 2 of the same transmitter? They don't interfere with one another? You don't need one receiver and one transmitter for each person do you?

Gracias as always.....
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Azden makes a wireless setup (UHF is what you want for best quality and range), that comes with 2 wireless lavalier mics and one receiver that I guess work together.

I use the Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless with the 1 camera mount receiver and lavalier transmitter. On mine, I'm pretty sure I would need a second transmitter and receiver combo for this to work. If you have 2 like this, you would set one trtansmitter and receiver to 1 frequency, and setup the other combo for a different frequency.

Azden:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Sennheiser:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks! that Azden looks like just the thing. Pricey, though. Guess that's what you pay for more functionality.

All the people who record weddings, I thought a lot of people put wireless lavs on the bride and groom. Are you all using dual channel for those? Or just 2 receivers and 2 mics?
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Well, for all the weddings I've done, I just put one on the groom because it can easily be hidden in his suit (unless it's a white suit/tux). This seems to pick up the bride and officiant just fine. THe officiant normally has his own mic for the church sound system, and there's no point to double-mic him unless you want that extra reliability in case one of your mics went out.

I also think 90% of people in this forum recording weddings will also suggest putting it on the groom only.

As far as the price goes, you can get VHF systems for considerabily cheaper, but the UHF sound better, are more reliable, and have less interference. I think for something as important as the wedding, it would be best to use UHF to get the best quality and reliability.

I'm not sure about the Azden or any other wireless system, but the Sennheiser has a connector that screws on to the transmitter, so it can't be unplugged without unscrewing it first.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

First, I don't know anyone that regularly mics the bride-I did once some years ago per her request and it was a royal PITA. You need a white mic AND someone to place the bodypak on her in a place that it won't show OR be TOO uncomfortable and frankly thats not somewhere where most of us guys are allowed to go ;-)

Most of us DO however mic the groom and the lectern and occasionaly the officiant if you have 3 systems. At an average of about $500 per system unless you go to Lectrosonics then its an average of about 12 to 1400 each. So most folks that I know use 2 systems. One on the groom and the other generally on the lectern mic. That will generally cover pretty much all that needs to be covered in a wedding ceremony.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Fred Retread

I'd recommend against the Azden for several reasons. First of all the Sennheiser is a better brand. Secondly, you want one system to back up the other. If the Azden receiver failed you'd walk out of there with nothing--an unrecoverable disaster. Backup would be accomplished better with a digital recorder on the lecturn or in the officiator's pocket. The two systems would then be completely idependent.
Old August 17th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Stevens
I'm looking into wireless systems....

I'm thinking I'd want 2 microphones, attached to 2 different people.

Do you buy one receiver, and 2 of the same transmitter? They don't interfere with one another? You don't need one receiver and one transmitter for each person do you?

Gracias as always.....
I'll second Fred's comments- though I don't have any direct personal experience with Azden they don't have the best of reputations.

With the exception of the rare dual units that put two receivers in one box, you do need a receiver paired to each transmitter and generally that means a transmitter/receiver pair for each microphone.
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #8
Major Player

Ah, I see. I've never done a wedding, I just always wondered. I've been using shotguns + boompoles. I have a new project where wireless lavs might be more appropriate.

I'm doing interviews, probably regular sit-down, interviewer and interviwee across a table. But they might get up and be mobile, also I'm trying to make the subject as comfortable as I can. So I'm thinking maybe a wireless mic will be less obtrusive. Knowing the interviewer, getting good audio from her might be really valuable.

If a Sennheiser UHF can pick up someone fairly close, then maybe tha's the way to go.
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #9
Major Player

Lectrosonics with Tram TR50 lavs. Get two jimmiy Boxes to house the receivers under the camera. This setup makes it so easy to make battery changes and also when your done shooting just remove your antennas and XLR cables and leave the receivers in the metal jimmy boxes and they are protected.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I have had nothing but trouble using Azden wireless lavs, just fyi. Within the past year, I had one die and replaced it and the other is completely unreliable. I will never buy Azden again.
Beth Dill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 05:39 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Depends which Azden you use. I use the 500s (for about 5 years trouble free) abd the 1000U about 6 months (again-trouble free). The lower end stuff I agree is not that good but I know the better stuff is just fine and I know far too many folks that also use it with out a problem. Please be more specific about WHICH model has caused you problems.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:29 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Pardon me - it was the Azden 111. Yes, perhaps if I had spent $500 a piece the quality would have been better. But just IMHO if I were going to invest that I'd just go ahead and get Sennheisers (G2 100 to be exact). I'm glad you've had great results with them, though.
Beth Dill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio