cant change to mono at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 4th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

cant change to mono

I orginialy posted in the general area because i actualy didnt notice this area. sorry if this is considered a double post, im just trying to get it in the right area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils Hoover
Backing up and preparing my videos for upload to the internet i have found one video that is very stuburn. It seems when ever i encode it into mono i guess one of the audo tracks goes missing. It has a voice over and music and that is it. This is an old video that i made a long time ago and edited in imovie. I also have acouple other old videos from back when i used imovie and none of them have this problem.

It seems no matter what i do if i make it mono it loses the voice over track but the music remains. I wouldnt care that much but i am trying to put it on youtube and i guess the automaticaly convert stuff to mono, so even if i upload a stereo version of it, it loses the voice over any way. It does it no matter what program i use to compress it in, or no matter what audio codec i use. I have used sorenson squeeze, and i have compressed it straight from adobe premiere. If any one knows how to fix this please tell me.

p.s. It is currently in avi uncompressed format.

a reply was:

It sounds like the VO on the two stereo tracks is dual-mono with one track having inverted phase with respect to the other. When you mix them to a single mono track the two VO channels cancel each other out. Do you still have your orignal project files to fall back on and re-do the mix?

I said no they were done at school, then there was another reply:

Steve is right, you have two choices:

Drop one of the channels before the conversion to mono. Depending on the nature of the stereo music mix, there may be no significant change to the music... or maybe there will be.

Invert the phase of one of the channels before the conversion to mono. It is likely that this will audibly mess with the music... or maybe not.

Try these things and see if they help. I'd start with some short tests in Premiere. You'll have to separate the channels for either approach, I'm no longer very familiar with Premiere...
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I tryed going into cool edit to see what i could do but honestly i dont know what i am doing, I know how to seperate the left and the right channel but that is about it, and they seem to be close to identical. any one have any suggestions about how i can fix this problem?

i even tryed recording the audio using a program but it actualy wouldnt pick up the voice over at all, in stereo or in mono that way.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio