Azden Sgm-1x Xlr 2 Barrell Shotgun Microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 4th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #1
New Boot

Azden Sgm-1x Xlr 2 Barrell Shotgun Microphone

Has anyone used the Azden Sgm-1x Xlr 2 Barrell Shotgun Microphone? I am looking for a decent boom mic setup with out the cost. So please help me out with this one.
Stephen A. Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Major Player

I've used one, but don't own one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen A. Dolphin
Has anyone used the Azden Sgm-1x Xlr 2 Barrell Shotgun Microphone? I am looking for a decent boom mic setup with out the cost. So please help me out with this one.
I've ridden a sound mixer for a local event producer a few times, and have also operated a mic boom a few times using one for the same producer. They have always been adequate for his purposes, e.g. interviews, art gallery promos, a play debut, even a few church events. Every time I've worked in either of those capacities, he never used them wired - always used the Azden UHF wireless units. And, I've never used the handheld setup - always the shotgun. In fact, his seemed "adequate enough" that I got 2 of the SGM-1000s.

Biggest drawback I see w/Azden is only one mic model provides phantom power, (the SGM-1000), but, I've never used anything other than the 1X and the 1000s. Some here say Azden - in general - doesn't have a great reputation. Unfortunately, I don't know mics well enough to offer alternatives.

If you get a chance, test before you buy. Maybe you can rent to do that.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen A. Dolphin
I've got that, with the guy graphics cheap boom pole. I thought it worked fine, though I'm no audio expert either. I used it on one short where it worked fine.

Then I used it on another short where the sound was so-so.... but I think it was more the boom operator.

Considering the price, I think it was fine.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio