Sound Level Damage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 9th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Sound Level Damage

Hi folks,

I'm looking forward to doing a couple of events at which the sound level will be 95db and above. I've been looking to discover at what sound level damage may occur to the Cam's mics and /or to the audio circuts behind them. Can't seem to find a thing. Anybody here got any ideas ???

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Trustee

I would not worry about damaging your mic due to excessive sound pressure levels. The worst that will happen is that the levels could exceed the mics capability and cause the audio to be distorted. I doubt you will run into this.

As far as the camera audio circuit, It's only as loud as you turn it up.
Just keep an eye on the levels and back them off if they are to hot.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #3
Major Player

you CAN pop a diaphram, or cause other damage to the mic element with excessive sound pressure levels. however, the level that happens at is kind of rare. i'm talking in excess of 150db/spl.-thats loud enough to shake the ground. space shuttle launches (close to the pad) and NHRA top fuel dragsters are the only things I've actually seen damage mics in this fashion.

as far as the audio input you are feeding, other than some serious distortion i don't think you will really hurt anything. carry on!

don't forget proper protection for your most important audio device. your ears...
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bellotte
i'm talking in excess of 150db/spl.-thats loud enough to shake the ground.

True, but at that level, you have a lot more to worry about then damaging your microphone. LOL

Steve
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio