Oktava boom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Oktava boom

Can you mount an Oktava mic to a boom pole?

-Rh
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes.

Most commonly, this would be an MK 012 with a hypercardoid capsule. The cardoid capsule is not very directional, I think it would be better to call it a sub-cardoid.

For indoor use a foam windscreen is usually enough to deal with the slight breeze created by moving the boom. Be aware that this mic is very sensitive to breeze.

A shock-mount is also considered "standard" for boom usage.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #3
Trustee

Have you used all three Oktava 012 capsules, Seth?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #4
Major Player

great information. What exactly does the "shockmount" do for mics? just redirect any movement so it's not picked up by the mic?

-Rh
Old October 7th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #5
Trustee

Seth,
Do you ahev a link for the indoor windscreen?
thanks
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Rich--

Shock mounts reduce handling noise (such as fingers moving against the pole) by suspending the mic in "mid-air," usually with rubber bands. Such noise can be substantial when using a boom, especially if your operator is turning/moving the pole to aim it at the talent as they speak. As stated above, the MK012 is especially susceptible to handling noise. A shock mount should be viewed as an absolute necessity for boom mounting (or even any mounting situation where the mic has even a slight chance of being used in motion) with any mic, but especially so with the Oktava.
Old October 7th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Usually I'm more responsive - been briefly out of town.

I've only used the cardoid capsule with this mic, mostly for music recording. The MK-012 is a good general-purpose small-diaphram condensor microphone. I've applied some eq in post and been very happy.

I can confirm that the cardoid is more of a sub-cardoid pattern from my own experience. I've heard good things about the hypercardoid cap for boom work.

I am not aware of any forum sponsors who sell the Oktava line of microphones. sound-room.com seems to have the biggest selection of Oktava microphones & accessories, including shock mounts and foam wind screens.

bhphotovideo.com is a forum sponsor, they stock generic shock mounts and blimp-style wind screens & fur that would be better if you are planning on exterior scenes in any sort of weather.
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #8
Major Player

Is there a difference in the Oktava Mk012-01 than the MK012?
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Hibner
Is there a difference in the Oktava Mk012-01 than the MK012?
Anybody considering Oktava microphones should check out the sticky thread in this forum that talks about chinese-manufactured Oktava. Ya'll want the russian-manufactured version.

Having said that, I'm not aware of any significant difference between MC-012, MK-012, and MK-012-01.
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #10
Major Player

I'm aware of the sticky. Checked it first. That's why I asked about the 012-01. Saw a few on ebay and wanted to know if there were a difference between the two. Is there a clear mark to distinguish the two apart, the chinese made and the russian made?

edit: nevermind found a link.
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio