music rights! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 12th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

music rights!

so, i'm making a ski flm. At the begining, it was small prject to fill my gap year. since then, it has snowballed and has been reciving a large amount of press and i am now thinking that i might have to pay for the rights to the music we are using. apparently, and correct me if i'm wrong, under UK law if i produce under 500 copies (499) then i do not have to pay for the rights to any copyright material used. i now have an estimate of the numbber of copies that will be sold, through stores and online and it is above the 500 mark.

how do i go about finding out how much the rights to each song cost? do i have to contact each lable or the artist's who's music we are using? or is there a website where such info can be found?

regards.
Charles Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #2

Unless the UK has recently passed some laws that I'm unaware of with regard to copyright and licensing, you're *way* off the mark. As a commercial, sellable, renewable enterprise, you cannot manufacture "up to 500 DVDs" without paying license fees.
As far as how to go about finding the copyright holder...it's quite easy.

http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/busin...yrightfaq1.php
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Major Player

So, using your logic... I can make up to 499 copies of your film, sell them for a profit, and not have to pay you, the copyright holder, at all? Then have me mum do the same thing?
Spot is right. You should have been paying all along.
Chris Luker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio