Which MKH 416? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 16th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which MKH 416?

I would like to know the difference between the sennheiser 416 P48 and the 416 T-U? It seems to me that I even saw another number variation on this mic. Is there a preference or a difference for DV production? Thank you.
Jim Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Benton
I would like to know the difference between the sennheiser 416 P48 and the 416 T-U? It seems to me that I even saw another number variation on this mic. Is there a preference or a difference for DV production? Thank you.

Most of the T powered mics are in Europe, although they do make it over here. It's a different powering scheme than Phantom POwer.

Other than that, the mics are not that different. Some T powered mics have XLR connectors, some have Tuschel connectors.

PS. You don't want to use wither in small or highly reflective spaces. (that's audio reflectivity, not light reflectivity.)

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Wrangler

If I may add or clarify to Ty's explanation, the T power mike will require an outboard power supply (uses a 9 volt) that needs to be added in line between it and the camera, whereas most cameras these days can supply phantom power.

I have a 416T and I often wish I had the phantom version as the box is cumbersome and it's one more battery to keep track of. There are inline phantom to T power adaptors which can solve the problem more neatly.
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Jim what camera do you want to use it on?
Nick Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I would be using the mic on an XL2. Which by the way I think I read that it has built in phantom power if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have the manual in front of me right now.
Jim Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes XL2 has phantom power supplied through its two XLR inputs. Which means you'd be OK with the Sennheiser MKH 416-P48.
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #7
DVCreators.Net

Here's a sample of the MKH-416 plugged directly into the Canon XL2 http://www.dvcreators.net/products/s...movieframe.htm
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #8
Wrangler

For those who might benefit, here is the phantom power to 12T adaptor.

Out of stock at B&H, but you can find a dealer list through the manufacturer that may have it.
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I wonder if I would need one of those between my Echo Gina 3G (which supplies phantom power - software switchable) and a Rode NTG-2 which I'm about to order??? In case I forgot to switch the phantom power off.
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hope
I wonder if I would need one of those between my Echo Gina 3G (which supplies phantom power - software switchable) and a Rode NTG-2 which I'm about to order??? In case I forgot to switch the phantom power off.
No - That adapter takes phantom from a source such as a camera or mixer and converts it to power a t-power mic. T-Power is wired differently from phantom. The NTG2 takes phantom or internal battery and feeding it t-power by inserting that adapter in-line could damage the mic.
Old October 18th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #11
Wrangler

Just an update--this thread finally got me to deal with my annoyance at having to use the previously mentioned T-power outboard box, so I went and picked up one of the PCS adaptors. It works perfectly, plugs into the back of the mike and extends the length by a few inches (actually it's virtually the same diameter as the mike so it doesn't even look like an adaptor is in use). Having it on top of the DVX100a, the whole thing sits pretty comfortably and now it's just a regular short XLR cable into the camera, much less klugy than the Denecke box. I haven't tested it to make sure that it will fit inside my zeppelin that I use when booming exteriors but I'm pretty sure it will.

The mike cost me $310 on eBay 4 years ago, and this adaptor was $40...a good deal compared to the $1000+ that a new 416PH costs.
Old October 21st, 2006, 09:45 AM   #12
Trustee

For those of you who have a 416 T and want a 416 48 PH Sennheiser USA had a trade in policy. The cost was $500 per trade in. Worth checking out by contacting Sennheiser directly to see if they still are running it.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio