Any updated opinions on Rode NTG 1 or 2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 25th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
with the DVC30, the NTG-2 is a long mic, you might have issues of the mic peeking into the frame if you mount it on your camera. Unless you push it way back, but if you don't have the xlr adapter, then you're going to need the transformer adapter like what Sure makes to stick on the end of the mic and now it's really long. poke you in the eye long. I had that setup on my DVC30 and it sucked, not sound wise but setup wise. Finally went with the xlr adapter.
It shouldn't be a problem with ntg2 and its length. This setup (http://www.chma.net/pana1.JPG) works fine even with a Century wide angle lens.

Haven't used my ntg2 for music so cant help with that one. And can't comment on the phantom Vs. AA battery, yet.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Largent
You want to mount a pair of 3031s on your
camera?
Dave,

Yes, it's what I was hoping to do--you think it a bit impracticable? That's why I hang out here, to learn from people who know....
Michael Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #18
Major Player

Rode also makes a stereo video mic that looks pretty nice.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowe
Thanks Steve & Michael for the replies. While it still sounds like a great mic, it (and the NT-3) may not be what I'm looking for.

I've read some good reviews here from folks using a pair of AT3031's for music, so I'm now leaning more toward those along with the Panny XLR box which I'm sure I will have to spring for eventually. How to mount them (3031's) is another story of course and OT on this thread, but if there's anyone out there who uses these AT's and would care to share your experience with them feel free to PM me.

Thanks again guys for helping me narrow my choices.

~Mike
I have a pair of 3031's and they are excellent mics. Not very practical to mount a pair on your camera though. They should go on a couple of stands or on a single stand with a stereo bar and there are a wide variety of miking arrangments - A/B, X/Y, ORTF, etc - that you can use them for.
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Magnussen
It shouldn't be a problem with ntg2 and its length. This setup (http://www.chma.net/pana1.JPG) works fine even with a Century wide angle lens.

Haven't used my ntg2 for music so cant help with that one. And can't comment on the phantom Vs. AA battery, yet.

You put a dead cat on the mic, and you'll see the little hairs creeping in when you use a wide angle. At least I do. But if you crop for 16:9, it cuts them out.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #21
New Boot

Length of NTG1 vs NTG2

Anyone have any other experiences with on camera mounting? Although I always want to get the mic off the camera, it oftentimes just isn't feasible. The GL1/GL2/XHA1 all have handles on the top that I use quite frequently and I'm afraid that running a mic on the top (or even with the XHA1's mic mount) I would lose easy use of the handle.

Although I want the option of battery power, the NTG1 is about 2 inches shorter. So I'm torn trying to find a good mic that isn't unwieldy when mounted on a cam like an xh a1.
Nick Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowe
When you say the NTG-2 performs better w/phantom vs battery, how much better? Of minor significance? Like night & day? I'm just trying to get an idea of how decent a recording I can get using the NTG-2 with battery only.
You can download a comparisationclip of the NTG-2 with a penlite and with phantompower here: http://www.rivierenlandmedia.nl/Medi...AvsPHANTOM.wmv
I have done some (quick) testing last week to see what sounds better. Phantom wins, thats clear!
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio