Channel Redundancy question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 9th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Channel Redundancy question

I am going to do some location sound recording on a short film shooting on a Panasonic DVX100A. I plan on renting a Sound Devices 302 mixer, boom & shock mount, Sennheizer ME66, Sony head phones. It is still up in the air if we can afford 2 wireless lavs. We will record directly into camera and I will "mix" and boom at the same time.

If no lavs, I was planning on running the sound to camera on channel 1 and dub the sound on channel 2 but reduce the level to reduce distortion/clipping beyond what the SD302's limiter can handle. My question is then, do I do that in camera i.e. via the set up menu? Or do I get some kind of a splitter before going into camera so the camera litterally has two XLR inputs.

If we can afford lavs, I plan to mix them down on channel 1 and run the boom to channel 2. Then the question is I would need an dual XLR cable from the mixer to camera with two sets of XLR plugs?

Or perhaps there is another way to do it? Thanks.
Thomas
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

My question is then, do I do that in camera i.e. via the set up menu? Or do I get some kind of a splitter before going into camera so the camera litterally has two XLR inputs.

>> I'd do it at the camera.

If we can afford lavs, I plan to mix them down on channel 1 and run the boom to channel 2. Then the question is I would need an dual XLR cable from the mixer to camera with two sets of XLR plugs?

Or perhaps there is another way to do it? Thanks.

>>You need a proper "audio hose" that has two balanced XLR runs and a headphone return that plugs into the camera headphone output and plugs into the 302 camera return so you can monitor the camera audio from the mixer.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio