what kind of mic to use when using camcorder on a plane?(V1U or XH A1) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 14th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

what kind of mic to use when using camcorder on a plane?(V1U or XH A1)

what kind of mic to use when using camcorder on a plane?(V1U or XH A1)

is there a noise-cancelling microphone that can remove most plane noise, but leave human voice audible?

thanks!
Herbert Bolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Major Player

What are you going to do on the plane? Interviewing, ambience sound, whatever, the answer is depending on your purpose. ;-)
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Just last week I did some interviews on a school bus. You definately want to use a dynamic mic as it has a smaller pickup radius. If you expect studio quality recording, I think you'll be disappointed. I think you would want the ambient noise anyway for a sense of realism.

I think you will fare better removing noise in post production surgically rather than attempting to universally reject "noise" that some cancelling technology decides is noise. "Noise cancelling" is a misnomer. I'd call it "Noise Reduction". Also, there's no magic. Noise that gets removed that is also in the same frequency range as voice results in voice audio being affected. Doing it in post lets you tweak it as needed. I use Sound Soap which has a setting to "Preserve Voice".

TIP: Have your subjects hold the mic close to their mouth so you get the best signal to noise ratio.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #4
Major Player

One trick you can use is to place a lav inside the earcup of the pilot's headset. Then you can pick up all audio on the intercom, as well as radio comms. Airplane noise will be attenuated ca. 25 dB.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio