DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   skinny mic, fat holder on camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/81782-skinny-mic-fat-holder-camera.html)

David Morgan December 14th, 2006 06:08 PM

skinny mic, fat holder on camera

I'm sure this is common but I don't get it. I'm looking for a shotgun mic for my Canon XH A1.
The external holder has a center diameter that is way too large to accommodate the shotgun mics that I've found.
What are people doing about this? I've noticed the same problem with the Sony Z1 and other cameras. Way too large an opening for the barrel of the mic.

Vito DeFilippo December 14th, 2006 08:11 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Hi David,

If you look a few threads below at "Mounting Rode NT2 to an XL2?", you'll see a couple of suggestions that might help.

I've also seen a product called a JRod that is supposed to help with that exact problem. You can do a search for that.

For my Z1, I took apart the shock mount that came with my Rode, screwed it to a bit of broom stick handle that fit exactly in my mic holder, and mounted the shock mount to that. Works like a charm. I painted it blue after I took these pictures The left over shoe attachment came in handy for my wireless transmitter, too, so it all worked out.

I'm guess what I'm trying to say is, don't be afraid to mess around and build something if you can't find a product that will do what you want...

Steve House December 14th, 2006 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Morgan
I'm sure this is common but I don't get it. I'm looking for a shotgun mic for my Canon XH A1.
The external holder has a center diameter that is way too large to accommodate the shotgun mics that I've found.
What are people doing about this? I've noticed the same problem with the Sony Z1 and other cameras. Way too large an opening for the barrel of the mic.

Take a look at the K-Tek BWC adapter. It's a plug that sized to fit into the Canon and others mic collar and has a 3/8x16 threaded stud to fit the hole of a standard shockmount. http://mklemme.com/pole/kbwc.html

Bruce S. Yarock December 15th, 2006 02:10 AM

I use an AT 897 on my Canon XLH1 (used it for 2 yaers on my XL2). Iwrapped ahrd rubber around it so it would fit snugly in the holder. Ilost the rubber and now just wedge a piece of foam in the holder to help keep the 897 from moving.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Gareth Watkins December 15th, 2006 06:59 AM

Hi there

I have used third party mic mounts on an FX1.

But on my Z1 by far the easiest way I've found is to wrap some gaffer tape around your mic, or a piece of neoprene type rubber...

When you do this so the mic (either my Rode NTG2 or AT897's) fit snuggly in the regular Z1 mount ... the small rubber dimples inside it cushioning the movement... I don't find an noticeable handling noise this way...

regards
Gareth

David Morgan December 15th, 2006 08:53 AM

THX to all for the replys and thx for the pictures.

Gareth, I've done exactly that. About 20 wraps of G-tape to make the barrel bigger.
I just find myself thinking though, maybe the manufacturers ought to take a second look at this mount. I think they should start with about half the inside diameter, then allow the adjustment screw to open the sleeve up to fit bigger mic's. I think the starting point right now is way too large. I mean, do they think your going to cram an SM-58 in there or something?

Larry Rodman December 15th, 2006 10:48 PM

I discoverd the same thing when I unpacked my A1, David. Somehow, I just can't get excited about wrapping tape around my Sanken CS-1. I'll keep looking until I find something; at some point there's got to be an aftermarket product that will be a "clean" solution.

Larry Rodman December 15th, 2006 10:54 PM

I spoke too soon! That BWC mount looks good - not just good - I really like the look; I will order one. Thanks for the tip, Steve.

David Morgan December 15th, 2006 11:31 PM

Thx Steve.
What'll they think of next?

Bill Davis December 16th, 2006 12:51 AM

Sony's original rubber sleeve

David,

For many years, the external mic holder for Sony Pro cameras was an aftermarket purchase, iirc called the CAC-1 or something like that. It shipped with a rubber grommet that reduced the diameter of the holder to the correct size to hold typical on-camera short shotgun style mics.

Sony probably has a part number for the thing. (This presumes you can find an actual phone number for a Sony service facility where an actual human being will talk to you - not always an easy task these days!)

There are probably a thousand of the things in a warehouse somewhere - the challenge is finding out where!

Good luck.

Jay Massengill December 18th, 2006 09:56 AM

I use one of those Sony spacers from my older cameras on occasion, but the shockmount on my newer Sony DVCAM is even larger diameter than the CAC-1, so for really skinny mics I have to use something much thicker.

Jeff Rhode December 18th, 2006 12:25 PM

Nice solution Vito.

The J-Rod will also solve this, as Vito said. If you go to www.thej-rod.com you will see something that looks a lot Vito's solution. This should work fine on the A1 too Larry.

Abe Dolinger December 24th, 2006 11:40 PM

Larry - it might sound silly, but when I have to gaff-tape my mics I wrap the first layer in reverse so that the sticky side is out and then wrap more sticky-side-in on top. If you wrap the first layer tightly enough to itself you won't get any slippage. Had to do the exact same thing with an XL1 a few weeks ago . . they must have gotten a bunch of those large mounts cheap or something, I have no idea what they were expecting us to do with them.

Bob Grant December 25th, 2006 02:40 AM

Rode make an accessory for solving this problem, the SM5.
http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Accessories

We've used it on all our Z1s to mount both Rode and Sony mics to the camera, works very well, will fit both diameters of clamps and provides very good isolation.
It is however a bit heavy but one could reduce the weight by cutting off the unused section of the metal pipe.

Douglas Robbins December 25th, 2006 01:36 PM

We use the MM XL Universal Minimount from Lightwave. http://www.lightwavesystems.com/prod...on/default.asp